How To Measure Voltage
See More Electrical Testing Down The Page
The following procedure measures the voltage at a selected point in a circuit.
- Disconnect the electrical harness connector for the circuit being tested, if necessary.
- Enable the circuit and/or system being tested. Use the following methods:
- Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
- Turn ON the engine.
- Turn ON the circuit and/or system with a scan tool in Output Controls.
- Turn ON the switch for the circuit and/or system being tested.
- Select the V (AC) or V (DC) position on the meter.
- Connect the positive lead of the DMM to the point of the circuit to be tested.
- Connect the negative lead of the DMM to a good ground.
- The meter displays the voltage measured at that point.