Leaking antifreeze again in alero

For Olds Aurora and Cutlass to the Alero and Delta 88.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Oldsmobile car questions.
tommyg5119

Leaking antifreeze again in alero

Unread post by tommyg5119 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:37 pm

I have 3400 engine in 2000 alero (V6 of course). Been having problem with my antifreeze leaking, So I assume the lower intake gasket again(which I have already replace 6 years ago with no problem) but this time after I replace it I notice coffee color oil (antifreeze getting in the oil). So figure I must have done something wrong so I replace the lower intake gasket again making sure I tighten everything with correct torgue. Still the same problem, if not worst. I took the front valve cover off (because I didn't see any coffee color from the back valve cover last time) to see if I can see where the antifreeze is comming from, I can see the the coffee color oozing on the top of the 2 center pushrods and rockers not quite from the gaskets itself (from what I can see) and white steam comming valley (or between the two heads)and notice bubbling on the bottom (not sure if that is normal). Not really into replacing the head gasket, but before I do, I want to make sure first.
Thanks
p.s. I do have pictures and video if needed

TerryAuto

Re: Leaking antifreeze again in alero

Unread post by TerryAuto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes, pictures might be helpful. Dont think you can upload video on this forum. Try youtube or other similar for video.

tommyg5119

Unread post by tommyg5119 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:41 pm

Well here is the video hopefully this works, sorry for it being long, but watch the last min:
http://youtu.be/1AR2tM-8AOE
Here is the picture the rocker and pushrod with creamy color
Attachments
GM 3400 engine oil milky.jpg
3400 V6 oil is milky on the rocker arms and pushrods.
GM 3400 engine oil milky.jpg (35.4 KiB) Viewed 10844 times

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:31 am

Good video, thanks.
I would not worry much about the steam. The PCV systrem is not working with the valve cover off.
It is odd that only 2 of the pushrods are showing oil/coolant mix.
The coolant passages on the intake and heads are at the corners. No passages in between ports.
The oil for the rockers comes from the pushrods, which get oil from the lifters, so nothing about the intake gaskets can cause this.

Very strange. I wonder if this is just residual from the previous leak, but you would figure it to be everywhere. The 3400 rear headgasket leak is common for leaking internally, but again, the milkshake should be everywhere. If the milky was not on top of the rocker and just in the head, i would say it is a cracked head. I suppose if the head gasket were leaking into the valley and getting onto those 2 lifters, this would be your problem. When the intake was off, you may have noticed a coolant residue trail from the head dripping down into the valley.

Do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if that shows anything.

tommyg5119

Unread post by tommyg5119 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 pm

I set up air pressure into the hoses attached to the coolant surge tank (no more then 20psi) and didn't see any bubbles next to the rockers and pushrods or hear any hissing sound, slight hissing sound from the overflow hose, but I guess because it is over the 15psi but i cannot hear anywhere else

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm

OK. Suggest changing oil again. Also inspect the plugs for signs of burning coolant. Then i would say you do not have much choice but to remove the rear cover and let it run to see if any there. If so, you must have a leaking headgasket.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

tommyg5119

Unread post by tommyg5119 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 pm

When started the car I notice first some water coming out of tailpipe and consistent amount white smoke afterwards and it failed miserably on block test (combustion test)
I did the spark plug compression test (I disconnected the coil pack) and got compression test of 120 on #2 (middle front) but when I did #3 (front left passenger side) I got 150psi then huge popping sound and it drop to 0psi, so stop doing that and reconnecting coil and still started no problem. I guess I no choice will just have take apart again but this get to the head gasket.

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Ya, sounds like a head gasket or craked cylinder head. Maybe even a broke head bolt.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

tommyg5119

Unread post by tommyg5119 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:28 pm

so here is pictures of the front cylinder heads remove and the first pictures is with the gasket, 2nd without, cant see anything crack on the heads, just the gasket look bad
Attachments
3400-v6-cylinder-head-coolant-leak.jpg
3400-v6-cylinder-head-coolant-leak.jpg (107.08 KiB) Viewed 6881 times
gm-3400-coolant-in-cylinder.jpg
gm-3400-coolant-in-cylinder.jpg (111.18 KiB) Viewed 6881 times