When put into park 1995 Grand Prix It shuts off

95gtpFrausto

When put into park 1995 Grand Prix It shuts off

Unread post by 95gtpFrausto » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 am

I have a 1995 pontiac grand prix special edition and when I run it in the morning the notorious ticking sound from the engine is there and it will go away once its warm... anyone have that same problem? Also when I run it for like 45 mins it will rev a little bit and turn off but it will start right back up... anyone have ideas? I am a new member here so Hello to All!

ProTech

Re: When put into park 1995 Grand Prix shuts off

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:59 pm

The ticking noise is a very complained about thing on the V6 engines in your style vehicle and many other GM products, but unfortunately it is usually normal. There have been problems with piston slap, but usually it's just a valvetrain noise that you can really do nothing about. You can try changing lifters, but again, the noise will probably come back.

As for the stalling problem, that can be a number of different things. You mention it revs up before it dies out? That might be a problem with the throttle position sensor or idle air control vavle. You could also have a different sensor causing an issue. You might try to see if any trouble codes are stored in the computer by getting it scanned.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

95gtpFrausto

Re: When put into park 1995 Grand Prix It shuts off

Unread post by 95gtpFrausto » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:21 am

Thank you very much! I apprecitate it. The thing is there is no actual check engine light on so yeah, I will check into the throttle body and see what is going on. But it does rev up a tad then shut off, but it will start right back up and I can run it. I was talking to my dad and he was saying something about a vacuum leak somewhere in that throttle body area, I don't know.

95gtpFrausto

Unread post by 95gtpFrausto » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:12 am

Yes it does rev up a tad then turn off. So I'll pop my head into around the throttle body area and see whats up. As far as the ticking goes, thats what I thought but thanks for the clairification.

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:09 pm

A vacuum leak would normally cause the problem to happen constantly, as vacuum leaks don't come and go. If you had a large enough vacuum leak to make the engine rev up higher than normal, it would be doing that all the time...so probably not your issue here. I'd concentrate on the throttle body area, and idle air control valve...as well as possibly removing the throttle position sensor and checking it's spring tension.

Those are the most common causes for the type of problem you are having.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+