1997 Pontiac Grand Am Gt Idles Too High

pontiac97

1997 Pontiac Grand Am Gt Idles Too High

Unread post by pontiac97 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 pm

I own a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am Gt. When I start my car, doesn't matter if its cold or hot outside, in park it runs at 2500rpms. The ass end of the car feels like it picks up. If I leave it on to warm up it dies. When I put in in drive it goes to about 1000 to 1500 rpms. This does this almost everytime I start my car. If I turn it off, while the rpms are so high, its hard to start back up. Almost like its fludded. I drive 40 miles to college and I have to stop half way and turn the car off and then turn it back on to get the idle down. The check engine light isn't on, my dad doesn't know what to look at. he has changed the plugs, that didnt seem to help. Sometimes it starts fine and I have no problems. Please help, Thanks--Kim

ProTech

Re: 1997 Pontiac Grand Am Gt Idles Too High

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:31 pm

This is a pretty common thing and usually will not set a check engine light on. You could have a faulty Throttle Position Sensor.

There is a spring inside the TPS that will sometimes break and let the TPS kind of find it's own position. This usually causes the idle to be very high, or the car to rev up very high. I've replaced many of these for the same problem. When everything else looks or test ok, this is usually the problem.

You can do a quick test by removing the throttle position sensor and trying to turn it with your finger. Normally the sensor should return to the original position if the spring inside is still functional. If you can turn it by hand and it just stays in the place you leave it, then it is bad. Replace the TPS and you should be fine.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

kitcatherine3

2001 Grand Am Trac Off light comes on only when hot outside

Unread post by kitcatherine3 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:42 pm

For some reason this has been happening ever since I got my car. It's a used car, I got it in grand forks. Very nice vehicle, great gas mileage. Only thing is, the trac off light has been coming on in the spring and summer when it's very hot outside... usually above about 60 degrees. I'm not sure how to fix this, as I've brought it to mechanics and they haven't been able to help me out. I don't want to spend a ton of money on it... since I'm a college student and I only have so much to spare - haha.

Please help in any way if you can. Thank you so much. :)

ProTech

Re: 2001 Grand Am Trac Off light comes on only when hot outs

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:53 pm

Usually when that light comes on it will store a code in either the vehicle's engine computer or antilock brake computer. If a technician can't find any stored information from when the light was on, it is usually a very intermittent problem. These, unfortunately, are the hardest problems to find and fix. It really could be anything from a faulty wheel speed sensor, to a problem in the wiring.

Your best bet would be to take it to your mechanic when the Trac Off light is actually on and/or when the vehicle is acting up. This would be the best opportunity for the technician to hook up a scanner and see what is causing it.

babycritter

misfires code p0300

Unread post by babycritter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:39 pm

my wife almost ran out of gas i could hear the fuel pump sucking air. changed fuel filter,fuel pressure regulator. but still sends out code p0300. how can i check coil pack. it doesn't send a code all the time. but i can feel the bad take off. any ideals. i changed plugs & plugs wires.i pull off the front plug wires & good spark.

ProTech

Re: misfires code p0300

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:58 pm

You can check each coil pack by removing the spark plug wires and looking for spark arcing across the terminals as you crank or run the car. You could have a bad fuel injector causing your misfire, but that would need some additional diagnosis. The best way to check for misfires is with a scanner so you can see which cylinder is actually misfiring. Then you can concentrate your diagnosis on that particular cylinder. Without one, you're basically shooting in the dark.