2004 Chevy Malibu Noise Braking and Turning steering wheel

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
Jan

2004 Chevy Malibu Noise Braking and Turning steering wheel

Unread post by Jan » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:45 pm

When I turn my 2004 Chev Malibu and put my foot on the break only when turning to the left sometimes I hear this sound like the breaks need to be repaired but I also hear a strange sound when I am maing a left turn inside the car that sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel .

butchkaz
Site Admin

Re: 2004 Chevy Malibu Noise Braking and Turning steering wheel

Unread post by butchkaz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 pm

This could be a noise strut mount, broken strut spring, or loose tie rod end. If just had service, i would suspect they would have inspected the front end of the car and saw one of these items.
But, this does sound like a common problem with what is called the "Intermedaite steering shaft". Nothting that you can visually see wrong with it.
These make the noise you describe, at the time you describe. It is located under the drivers side of the car, so thats why it only seems to be on that side, or in the steering wheel / column.
There is no danger of this art breaking, just noisy.
Part is approx. $150 plus 1 hour shop labor to replace.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

TechJR

Unread post by TechJR » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:17 pm

[quote="butchkaz"]This could be a noise strut mount, broken strut spring, or loose tie rod end. If just had service, i would suspect they would have inspected the front end of the car and saw one of these items.
But, this does sound like a common problem with what is called the "Intermedaite steering shaft". Nothting that you can visually see wrong with it.
These make the noise you describe, at the time you describe. It is located under the drivers side of the car, so thats why it only seems to be on that side, or in the steering wheel / column.
There is no danger of this art breaking, just noisy.
Part is approx. $150 plus 1 hour shop labor to replace.[/quote]
Think they finally got that intermediate steering shaft right.
Have put a few in this last year, and seem to be OK.

Meccboy

Unread post by Meccboy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:53 pm

A have also done many of these steering shafts.
They got them right and will fix the problem for good now. Should be GM a recall, but since not a safety issue, will never make one.