Headlights turning on by themselves

Ironworks25

Headlights turning on by themselves

Unread post by Ironworks25 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:45 pm

I have a 2006 Grand Prix GT. Whose headlights have taken on a mind of their own. The car can be locked or unlocked and the headlights will turn on without assistance from anyone. I’ve watched them turn on, and grabbed fob to lock vehicle and watch lights turn off, only to turn back on minutes later. Obviously it is draining the battery. When it does this I can not turn them off with the light switch settings on blinker. I’ve tried a new switch, I’ve even tried covering the dash sensor. Has anyone experienced this “Christine” like issue?
Should I try a new Body Control Module? No dash lights are on, so no error codes to read.
For now I’m installing a battery disconnect because the car drives wonderfully. Just the light issue.

carriedi

Re: Headlights turning on by themselves

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:45 am

if your headlights are coming on by themselves you should look at the HDM module in your underhood fuse box. See if the BCM is turning on the HDM module or the the HDM module is turning the lights on without the BCM.

You don't need a battery disconnect. you could just pull the HDM module (Relay #35 underhood fuse box)
Attachments
06-GP.jpg

Ironworks25

Unread post by Ironworks25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:33 am

Thanks, I also saw your reply to my inquiry on the Buick post of same problem, and thank you.
I installed the quick disconnect simply to make it easy for my wife to drive this car while I’m looking at the few potential issues. The headlight switch is good, the relay is good according to a trusted friend but I think I need to personally check that. If both relay and headlamp switch are good that basically leaves BCM? Correct? I did notice the seatbelt warning light stays on after I buckle and stays illuminated until it basically times out and turns off. Otherwise zero issues with this car.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:12 pm

yes, it's easy enough to verify the relays is good by just switching it with another relay in the fuse box. If it still acts up then it's probably the BCM

if you just pull the relay out you don't have to put in a cutoff switch and will be able to keep your memory alive for your radio and clock. Just mark the top of the relay so it's very noticeable and anyone can see what relay to pull

Ironworks25

Unread post by Ironworks25 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:00 pm

I really appreciate you taking some time to educate me on this. No one has been able to shed any light on this situation. I asked so many ppl and mechanics as well as posting it elsewhere..So for what is worth, I’ve learned something from you And I thank you. I’ll revisit once I get to the bottom and find out it’s a BCM or relay. 👍🏻👍🏻

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:20 pm

okay, let me know

Shane2023

Unread post by Shane2023 » Sun May 14, 2023 9:42 am

Did y'all ever find out what the problem was? I'm having same issue. Thanks for any help