2002 Chevy Silverado radio gets no reception - help

Nyrumest

2002 Chevy Silverado radio gets no reception - help

Unread post by Nyrumest » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:24 am

Hi all.

I have an '02 Silverado with factory radio/cd player. It quit getting ANY reception about a month ago. All the pre-sets are still there but all I get is static on all AM and FM stations. Seek will not find any stations AM or FM.

I checked the antenna wire connection at the antenna right away and it looked good and tight.

After a month of talking, whistling and singing to myself I decided to investigate further (my rendition of Redneck Woman sent me over the edge). I took the instrument cluster bezel off to access the radio. Pushed down the plastic tabs on either side and pulled the radio out. So far so good. Antenna wire is secured to the back of the radio and the multiwire connector is secure. Hmmmm. Can't pull the antenna wire off. Can't see that it threads on but it will not come off. At least not easily.

A. Is the radio itself the likely problem or the antenna or antenna wire?
B. Should I force the antenna wire off or is there some trick to it?

I haven't messed with car stereos https://10carbest.com/apple-carplay-stereo for 20 years prior to today so I am not that up to speed with today's version.

thanks.

carriedi

Re: 2002 Chevy Silverado radio gets no reception - help

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 am

from what you say so far, it "sounds" like a bad radio. Does the cd player work? I would think that the amp went out is the cd player doesn't have sound coming out but that wouldn't explain not being able to scan and not find any stations.

if there isn't a threaded cap like for cable tv on the antenna wire it should pull out. How is the antenna wire hooked up at the other end by the antenna?