Pontiac Torrent Chevy Equinox Wont Blow Heat From Vents

Barbie112

Pontiac Torrent Chevy Equinox Wont Blow Heat From Vents

Unread post by Barbie112 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:19 am

Problem with my 2006 Pontiac Torrent.I have a 2006 Torrent that the heater does not work. The blower fan and all the switches are fine. Airflow does change from vent to floor to defrosters.
When i turn the temp knob to hot air, only get cold come out. Does not matter what setting the mode door is in.Removed the temperature control motor actuator, and the little knob that it goes into is just spinning and pushes in to the heater box.Is this a repair to be sent to a mechanic or can i replace it myself.Do have experience working on cars and trucks for years, but not on Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent which are the same vehicle.

Tech1121

Re: Pontiac Torrent Chevy Equinox Wont Blow Heat From Vents

Unread post by Tech1121 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:22 am

Yes, this is becoming a common problem on the Chevy Equinox and Pontiac Torrent.The temp door has broken inside the dash.In order to replace it, you will need to remove the entire dash, all related parts, the cross car beam, then you can remove the heater A/C case.The case must be disassembled to replace the door.It costs about $22.This is an extremely big job. Takes a good 7-8 hours to complete. Even for me who works on these cars and trucks all day.I would suggest not doing this yourself unless you have experience with theChevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent.Here are a few pic of the before and after.
Click Link for
Pictures Of Repair

Hanny

Unread post by Hanny » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Barbie112 wrote:Problem with my 2006 Pontiac Torrent.I have a 2006 Torrent that the heater does not work. The blower fan and all the switches are fine. Airflow does change from vent to floor to defrosters.
When i turn the temp knob to hot air, only get cold come out. Does not matter what setting the mode door is in.Removed the temperature control motor actuator, and the little knob that it goes into is just spinning and pushes in to the heater box.Is this a repair to be sent to a mechanic or can i replace it myself.Do have experience working on cars and trucks for years, but not on Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent which are the same vehicle.
Same thing happened to my 2006 Chevy Equinox.
Luckily was under warranty.
Read it could cost $1000 to fix !

victoriabam

Unread post by victoriabam » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:53 am

This thread helps me much. Thanks for sharing the views.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:47 am

it could be that the door motors could be bad. they go out all the time. You can get at the motor without taking the whole thing apart like you do for a broken door. If you have a scanner you can scan the data stream and see what the motors are doing. Sometimes you can tell the motor is bad because it will make a clicking sound because the gears are stripped and keep jumping instead of stopping when the door hits the movement end. With the scanner you can command the door to move and watch the pid for the motor to see what it does. If the pid doesn't move but you can hear the motor run then the door is probably okay. The motor isn't moving the door. If the pid moves a lot and you get full range of the motor moving but the mode or temp.. doesn't change then the door is probably broken. (Most times, there are always things that just screw everything up every once in a while)

you have blend door motors - they control the temperature doors
you have a mode door motor - that moves from heat to vent to defrost and in between
you have recirculate door motor that switches between outside air coming in or recirculating the air inside the vehicle

Many cars have dual temp doors for the driver and the passenger.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.