Air and temperature hand not working

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
ToriS

Air and temperature hand not working

Unread post by ToriS » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:30 am

My air all of a sudden went out meaning it is blowing hot air and my temperature gauge hand is not working, took car to advance and the guy hooked it up to the computer and it said my thermostat was bad but my car hasn't ran hot and seems to run fine but another guy says it's not thermostat any help is greatly appreciated!

carriedi

Re: Air and temperature hand not working

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:52 am

the guy at advance, did he scan the car and get a code? Thermostat is not just if your cr overheats it is also for if your car runs too cold. So, if the scan had a code like P0420 it may be runnig too cold, bad thermostat...

Is your check engine light on?

You should have your HVAC scanned for codes and look at your door actuators, It's possible that your blend door is not working. the blend door is the door that switches between the heater core and the evaporator,
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks for a reply and yes the engine light came on, I do need a actuator cause it's making noises, so I should have that fixed correct? Also my freon was low and a leak so I may need a compressor soon, what you think?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:33 pm

some of the things you are talking are not related.

If the check engine light is on and Advance Auto parts scanned for codes and found a code for the thermostat, thermostat too cold too long, then changing the thermostat could fix that and may also make the needle on your temperature gauge come up to normal.

The blend door actuator is a motor that spins a worm gear that in turn drives a big geared wheel (well, big in comparison to the worm gear, they're both in a small box). It moved the blend door between the hot heater core and the cold evaporator. Many times when the gears get worn the teeth wear away and the teeth will slip making a clicking sound. So, that could be your problem and the noise. Depending on where the actuator is will make a difference on how hard it is to replace.

Freon being low from a leak is another problem. Depending on where the leak is and what it takes to fix it, the compressor may be fine. Fix the leak, recharge the system and see how everything works. If the leak is the compressor then replacing the compressor would be the remedy. Most compressor warranties will want the accumulator and orifice tube to be replaced and the condenser flushed. Some may require the condenser be replaced. But, like I said find the leak first and start from there. If the system is low but it hasn't been serviced in years, it may be low just because of the time that has gone by. Not a lot of systems are 100% tight and a very slow leak that takes years to leak enough to affect the system may just need to be evacuated and recharged.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Ok thanks I will get these looked into.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:47 am

Update.. it was my coolant temperature sensor causing the fans to come on, temperature hand to not work and air compressor not click on for air to work. Thanks for your help.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm

It was the thermostat