07 HHR 2.2L Timing Issues Repaired, Then Codes: 0223, 0122/3

From the Chevy Cavalier and Monte Carlo to the Malibu, Lumina and Impala.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Chevrolet car questions now.
ScrewedDriver

07 HHR 2.2L Timing Issues Repaired, Then Codes: 0223, 0122/3

Unread post by ScrewedDriver » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:40 pm

The display panel shows the "check engine" icon and says "ENG PWR REDUCED" or something similar to that. Code reader gives: P0223, P0122, P0123.

About a year ago we started having timing issues. We ended up opening the timing chain cover, realigning everything, replacing the tensioner and putting everything back together.

Now, the starter will crank the engine but nothing else appears to happen except for an occasional "hit". At least one of the spark plugs is firing. There is fuel pressure and the fuel pump starts up during ignition. The throttle valve moves a little bit while the starter is cranking. The voltages on the throttle position sensor with respect to ground appear okay. The purple wire (reference voltage I believe) vs. ground is +4.91V and with the car turned on before ignition the "sensor voltage" vs. ground is +4.46V which comes out to a difference of +0.45V (reference vs. the sensor). I'm not quite sure what all the other wires are supposed to be so I didn't test those yet.

All diodes were tested and all fuses were visually inspected. The voltage does change when the starter is cranking, especially if the gas pedal is pressed (if I remember correctly).

I've tried too many different things to list off here (mostly simple "fixes" from forums like this) but nothing seems to work. I am as certain as I can be that we got the timing chain aligned properly and it was running before this--just misfiring. The car has been sitting unused for about a year and there appears to be a lot of dry-rot on the corrugated wire covers along with a significant amount of dirt/debris inside the engine compartment.

Our next step is a find an ECM from a salvage yard to swap. Anyone have any ideas? I am willing to do whatever it takes. If you need any pictures, voltages or other info in order to help just let me know. Thanks in advance!

P.S. If anyone can point me in the direction of a repair manual or electrical schematics for this vehicle I would also really appreciate it.

carriedi

Re: 07 HHR 2.2L Timing Issues Repaired, Then Codes: 0223, 01

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:44 am

you need to stop and take a couple minutes to figure out what you are trying to repair. It would seem that you have more than just one problem. The three codes you have are all for the TAC (throttle actuator control - drive by wire) and those codes will cause the reduced power condition. you will need to look at the two tps reading. they should match. you should use a scanner or some tool that you can graph both sensors to see if you have any glitches or drop outs. there are two tps signals and two processors that compare each other. if they don't match you get codes. because they don't match the computer doesn't know which one to believe so it reduces the power so you don't have a runaway engine. (just in case. it's a safety feature)

the other problem is your no start problem. starting from when you said you were having timing issues: what were the timing issues? when you aligned everything did the engine run normally after that? Or has the engine never been run since then? Have you verified that you are getting spark to each cylinder? Fuel injector pulse to each cylinder? have you checked the compression for each cylinder? Is the fuel pressure between 50 - 60 psi?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ScrewedDriver

Unread post by ScrewedDriver » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:11 pm

I asked the person that experienced the timing issue before. It started running a little rough. Wouldn't idle properly. Went and got an oil change and after that it wouldn't start and was throwing a timing code (don't know the exact code as he doesn't remember).

I've checked one of the spark plugs (it's good) though I suppose I could check the others. I don't know the exact fuel pressure though it's definitely enough to cause the fuel to shoot out at least 3-5 feet when the valve is depressed near the engine.

The engine hasn't run since changed the timing chain tensioner and realigned the chain itself. I don't have an oscilloscope or anything that I could use to graph signals or voltages in a time-dependent manner. However, it is no longer throwing the timing code that my coworker mentioned. Also, I don't know how to check cylinder pressure nor have I ever worked on a fuel injector, though I'm certain I could figure it out.

I guess the first thing I need to ask is: will the car still be able to start in most cases if the "computer" is detecting that there's something wrong with the TPS? If so, it's probably some other major issue within the engine itself, right? I mean, it does have about 220k miles on it.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:33 pm

the engine should be able to start with APP of TPS codes but it will say reduced power.

cars are complicated. do you have a crank and cam signal? There are many things that you can't guess at. You have to know. And it may take some special tools or special skills to be able to figure these things out. Before the timing chain was set and the crank was timed to the camshaft. the camshaft was timed to the distributor and it was pretty easy to see if something was out of whack. But in modern cars you have timing chain that has a tensioner. if you set the cam timing without taking the tensioner into consideration you could set it to the wrong timing. but now the engine spark and fuel injection pulse need to see the signal from the crank sensor and the cam sensor. It not just mechanical anymore. Fuel pressure needs to be within spec. If you have 10 psi below minimum spec it may not start. you may not be able to sense the difference between 30 and 50 psi in the fuel rail.

it should be easy to check injector pulse with an incandescent test light while cranking the engine. Or to check to see if you have spark when the engine is cranking.

ScrewedDriver

Unread post by ScrewedDriver » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Well, now that you put it that way, I bet you we messed up on the timing chain/tensioner somewhere. Doesn't seem like there's much else it could be unless there is something else that has gone wrong since the car's been sitting there for nearly a year. Oh how wonderful it will be to take that cover back off and work on the chain without lifting up the engine. Still doesn't explain the TPS issue though... How would ******* up the timing chain/tensioner/cam-crank-alignment do anything to the TPS? It's all very baffling. I'm really thinking about buying that ECM I found just to rule it out since it's so cheap...

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:49 pm

you may have more than one problem. the throttle problem is easy to check with a scanner. clear the codes and see if the app sensors match up. the no start problem, check your engine for spark, fuel pressure spec and fuel injector pulse.

ScrewedDriver2

Unread post by ScrewedDriver2 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Ok, I finally figured out what happened. When the tensioner failed the pistons impacted the valves (mostly intake). I've got the head off and I cleaned off the tops of the pistons. There's some significant scarring but no cracks or anything. Now, this may be all in my head but it seems like there's a little less clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall on the intake side (where the worst of the marks are). Could this mean I have a bent connecting rod? If so, how big of a deal is it if it's just very slightly bent? Is it worth installing all new valves/gaskets/bolts/etc and getting it all put back together?

If I have to buy and install new connecting rods I'm thinking about just scrapping this project altogether. Every time I turn around there's a bigger problem with this thing. So far I've been justifying it by saying "if I can get another 100k miles out of this thing it's worth a couple hundred bucks in parts and many hours of my own labor; plus the bonus of all the learning/experience" but at some point the cost of parts and labor will outweigh any benefits. Plus, I'm now on somewhat of a timeline (I have just a couple of weeks to finish it up now).

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 am

valve are pretty weak and will bend pretty easy. Connecting rods are made kinda strong to take the explosion in the cylinder. They should be ok. Repairing the heads and then putting the engine back together should take care of the problem.

ScrewedDriver2

Unread post by ScrewedDriver2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:28 am

Well, I made a mistake. I mixed up the rockers/rollers while taking them off before I read that you should keep them in order. I at least have them segregated by intake/exhaust but they are irredeemably out of order. How big of a deal is this? Is is such a big deal that I should spend another $100 or so on new rockers?

Also, getting those valves off without the right tool is a huge pain. I cut out a slot in a 1/2" steel pipe and am just barely managing to get the keepers out with significant effort. So far I've got all the non-bent exhaust valves out. They actually look pretty good and very straight, surprisingly. The intake valves, however, are clearly bent beyond redemption.