1995 3.8 Buick LeSabre oil pressure light

Buick Regal, Century and Park Avenue as well as the Rendezvous and Lesabre.
Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Buick questions now.
l95buick

1995 3.8 Buick LeSabre oil pressure light

Unread post by l95buick » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

My car was leaking antifreeze from the intake manifold gasket. My mechanic replaced the gasket and phlemun (sp). He also replaced the PCV valve and replaced the oil pan gasket which was slowly leaking.
He flushed and filled the radiator, replaced all the oil and filter. Then the car started leaking oil bad from the crank shaft gasket so he replaced that. He pressure tested the engine and had perfect pressure, he also tested the cooling system and all was ok. Now the oil light comes on when I am at an idle or am slowing down which to me indicates low oil pressure but then what do I know. Then while driving the car it just stopped dead in the middle of the street. Now the engine makes a constant clanking noise, oil pressure goes up and down when tested depending on RPMs. Mechanic says to get rid of the car after all of this.
Could this be A. oil pressure sensor, B. Crank shaft position sensor, C. Oil pump going out. Oil clog in some port or something??? Should I get rid of the car? Help...my mechanic can't figure it out.

ProTech

Re: 1995 3.8 Buick LeSabre oil pressure light

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:46 pm

Would hate to say you wasted all that money doing other repairs, but you just may have. It could be something as simple as an oil pressure switch, but now if the engine does have noise to it, it is probably something worse. Yes, debris could have gotten stuck somewhere and/or clogged the oil pump or pressure relief valve. You'd never know without totally taking the engine apart.

You may be throwing good money after bad if you try and keep fixing it, as at this point you probably need an engine.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Gale77

Unread post by Gale77 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Oil level light comes off and on even when oil is OK. Does it need a new sensor or a new switch?. If so what is the expense?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:57 am

when does the light come on?

is it the oil pressure light or is it the oil level light? either one, the sensor could be bad but if it isn't a bad sensor, the oil pressure one is more important. if your oil level sensor is incorrect you can just check the oil level yourself na d make sure it is filled. If the oil pressure light is correct, you don't have enough oil pressure to protect your engine and catastrophic engine damage can occur
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Gale77

Unread post by Gale77 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:14 am

Oil level light comes on when engine is cold, stays on for awhile goes off then comes again, goes off then on, sometimes stays on, I don't drive very far from home, It is the oil level light that does this

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:22 am

I would need your year make model and engine size to estimate a price on replacing the oil level sensor. Some models of 95 Buick have had the sensors discontinued because of the age of the vehicle
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.