1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 slt

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
garyinflorida

Dodge shuts off after releasing pressure off the ignition sw

Unread post by garyinflorida » Fri May 08, 2015 6:25 pm

I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 king cab two wheel drive, when I try to crank it by the ignition switch it does nothing but when I by pass the ignition switch and use a jumper wire it will only crank with the ignition switch in a certain place, when I slightly move the ignition switch it shuts off. What could be the problem and how hard is it to fix?

carriedi

Re: Dodge shuts off after releasing pressure off the ignitio

Unread post by carriedi » Fri May 08, 2015 8:41 pm

where are you jumping the starter from and to?

the first thing I would check is your starter relay. You should get power from the yellow wire from the ignition switch that goes to the clutch switch (if you have a manual trans) then it goes to the starter relay. From the starter relay it goes to the neutral safety switch to ground (if you have an automatic trans) the relay gets power from the battery through a pink and black wire from the power distribution box, fuse #2 (30A). Sends the power out on the brown wire that goes to the starter solenoid.

so you would have to see if you have all the correct powers and grounds first, then see what is happening when you turn the ignition switch to start. Is the neutral safety switch grounded in park and neutral? Are you getting your full battery voltage from the yellow wire. The starter fuse should be good or it would never start. The relay could be bad. the switch could be bad, the clutch switch could be bad, the neutral safety switch could be bad, or the starter could be bad.

You have to start from one end and follow it through until you find where the circuit stops.
Attachments
98 dodge starter.jpg
1998 Dodge 1500 king cab starter relay and ignition wiring diagram.
98 dodge starter.jpg (117.47 KiB) Viewed 19140 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Piper420

1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 slt

Unread post by Piper420 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:16 am

Last time it started it wouldnt hold an idol, it just died if i let off the gas. Now it wont start at all. I replace the relays, replaced the starter, replaced the battery, I took the spark plugs out, turned the flywheel manually, AND I checked all the fuses(all good every one of them even the hidden). If I put my foot on the break when I turn the key nothing happens the lights in the dash don’t let up there’s no beings nothing happens except for once there was this weird click click click click click coming from the glove box. If I take my foot off the break and turn the key all the lights come on like they’re supposed to the beings happen like they’re supposed to the fuel pump and gauges everything works all the way to the starter clicking on the fly wheel . But it will not start. What the hell is wrong with my Dodge? please if you have any idea I would love to hear it.

carriedi

Re: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 slt

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:26 am

I would look for the grounds to the body and the engine.

check for a voltage drop between the battery and the power at the fuse box and through the ignition switch.

you have replaced a lot of parts. what started all the work you have done? What was the first symptom that you noticed?

from what you have described so far seem to be that you do not have enough current to run the circuits needed. That could be that there is too much resistance in the circuits from the battery. Or a ground is not grounded somewhere.

william

help

Unread post by william » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:57 pm

I have a 2002 Durango 4.7l my problem is I can only drive 50mph pedal all the way to floor. I have checked every sensor and injectors and coils all seem good no codes when scan is run.fuel pressure is good.also when I unhook all odd coils it does not change a thing. when I unhook all the even coils and hook up the odd coils, truck will not start.any advice would be a appreciated

carriedi

Re: help

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:00 am

check your O2 sensors. check exhaust back pressure.. things that would affect one side of your engine. bank 1 vs bank 2

Jenty

Re: 1999 Dodge Durango 5.2 slt

Unread post by Jenty » Tue May 12, 2020 12:23 am

Great help guys. Thanks.