2000 Town and Country Engine Noise

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
steve

2000 Town and Country Engine Noise

Unread post by steve » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:57 am

I have a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country 3.8 Liter engine. 2 days ago when cold starting a loud clattering noise comes from the engine, not transmission. After a few minutes after it warms up engine runs as smooth as ever. What could be going on??

carriedi

Re: 2000 Town and Country Engine Noise

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:09 am

without know what kind of noise or where in the engine the noise came from I would guess timing component lost it's oil prime. But you should wait until it happens again and see what you have to do to duplicate the noise. Once you know when it might make the noise leave it at a shop over night or something so you can have it happen where a tech can hear the noise.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

stevep

Unread post by stevep » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:28 am

03 Town and country. Appears as though the AC clutch has come apart. Melted rubber and a loose ring. Making a hell of a noise. Can I repair this myself? Do I need some type of puller? I dont thing the clutch and pulley is one unit. Can I pull clutch and run the thing without AC until I can get it to AC mechanic? HELP... I wouldnt own it but its a Handicap version that i transport Mom with.

Thanks

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 am

the ac clutch should be able to come off and leave the pulley and bearing on the compressor. As long as the bearing is still good, you can leave the pulley on with the clutch off. Many times the clutch will drag causing excessive heat and could damage the bearing. after removing the clutch see if the pulley bearing makes noise when you spin it. Or start up the engine after you have removed the clutch and see how it sounds.

I don't think you should need any special tools to remove the clutch. It should be held on by a bolt down the center. The clutch might be stuck on by rust and grime so you might have to work on getting it off.

you should check price and availability on buying just a clutch or buying a clutch, pulley and coil set. (if the compressor is fine)
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.