Bad wheel bearing, 1999 Explorer Sport

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
Cari

Bad wheel bearing, 1999 Explorer Sport

Unread post by Cari » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:18 pm

My left front wheel bearing is bad. I'm handy(do most of my own maint/repairs) but I've never attempted this task. Is my bearing sealed?(rear wheel drive), if not then, Is this something I can do at home? Or is does the bearing need to be pressed in professionally?

carriedi

Re: Bad wheel bearing, 1999 Explorer Sport

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:05 am

if your truck is rear wheel drive then the front wheel bearings are sold as inner and outer bearings with a grease seal. The races are pressed into the rotor but it's not hard to use a drift and hammer to get them out. A race driver should be used to put them back in but if you are careful you could use a brass drift and put it in.

once you get the bearing race all the way in to where the race bottoms out on the shoulder in the hub pack the bearings with the proper bearing grease and put the new seal in. Put the rotor back on the spindle and put in the outer bearing, spindle washer and then tighten the spindle nut to 17 to 25 ft/lb. Then back it off a half turn (180 degrees) and then retorque the nut to 18-20 Inch/lb. Then put the retainer and cotter pin in then install the dust cap.

put your caliper back on and wheel and all that stuff. REMEMBER TO PUMP YOUR BRAKE PEDAL BEFORE YOU PUT THE TRUCK INTO GEAR. Most of the time the caliper will be compressed to get it off so the piston will have to be pushed back out. Pumping the brake pedal will push it back out. If you forget and put the truck in gear you might be surprised that the brake pedal may go to the floor
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.