Subaru forester misfire related to oil change?

Including Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Mistubishi or any other car.
bobbyk

Subaru forester misfire related to oil change?

Unread post by bobbyk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm

I had my subaru forester's oil changed at a dealer and several weeks later the check engine light came on. Upon inspection I realized they hadn't put the oil cap back on after the oil change. The dealer re-set and the engine light and apologized. A month later my car began to idle rough and the check engine light came on again. Since then my check engine light has come on 4 more times. Each time I have paid for some kind of repair. They keep telling me it is because of an engine misfire. They have replaced spark plugs and coils at me expense by I continue to get the same check engine light for a misfire.

My question is, could an engine misfire be related to me driving my car for an extended period of time with the oil cap off? Thanks for your help.

carriedi

Re: Subaru forester misfire related to oil change?

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:35 am

not usually. when the check engine light came on what was the code? Was the code always the same one or did they even tell you what it was? Driving with the oil cap off could allow oil to splatter onto the engine. Did you ever see the engine when the oil cap was off after driving it like that? without seeing the engine and knowing the codes it is very difficult to give an opinion. But for the most part I would say probably not. Do you know if the coil and wires got coated with oil?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.