Possible transmission problems with my 1999 mazda 626

Including Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Mistubishi or any other car.
Lindsay

Possible transmission problems with my 1999 mazda 626

Unread post by Lindsay » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 pm

I have a 1999 mazda 626 4 cylinder car. Has anyone ever had any problems with the gear in the transmission that the drive axle pushes into? what would be my options to fix this? does the whole transmission need rebuilt or is there possibly an easier fix?

TerryAuto

Re: Possible transmission problems with my 1999 mazda 626

Unread post by TerryAuto » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Is this the right axle (passenger side) or the left side axle? What is the problem you are having? Are you unable to install the axle? Is it loose.

Lindsay

Unread post by Lindsay » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 am

Well today we had it checked out by a certified mechanic and he told us that the chain in the trans was shot and slipping. it thunks and clicks bad when I take off from a stopped position, once I get going tho it stops and shifts into rest of the gears fine. we put a bottle of lucas in it and that seems to be helping for now, trans shop told us it needs rebuilt and come to find out these late 90's mazdas are notorious for there trans going out, wish I would have known that 6mnths ago when I purchased the car! trans shop is wanting to charge me around 2700.00 to rebuild and fix it but that seemed alil higher than what I was expecting but idk whether to go ahead with the rebuild fix or just start looking for something else, I'm just sick after reading all the destion to fail trans in all these mazda's, other than this mess, the rest of the car is solid and in excellent condition and I love it idk what to do, any opinions?? thanks

TerryAuto

Unread post by TerryAuto » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Yes, it sounds like the transmission needs repairing. If the car is in as good a shape as you say, then I would get it fixed.

Get a few quotes from different shops, you may be suprised at the price difference.

Another option is to have an already rebuilt unit installed in the car. There are many companies that rebuid units for local shops to sell and install. This is usually cheaper than having a mechanic at a shop rebuil\d yours. These usually come with a better warranty also.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.