My Car Is Making A Rattling Noise

Including Hyundai, Audi, BMW, Mistubishi or any other car.

My Car Is Making A Rattling Noise

Unread post by Guest » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 am

My car started making a strange rattling noise a few days ago. It is not from the engine as the car runs fine, does not smoke, and the engine temp is fine. I had a complete brake job recently, so I doubt it's loose calipers, also the car brakes well too. I checked the alternator, it is mounted tightly, and the belts are tight as well. The sound is worse when starting, idleing you can still hear it but not has loud. The car doesn't wobble, so it's not the engine mounting.

ProTech

Re: My Car Is Making A Rattling Noise

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 pm

Since I can't hear the noise over the internet, it will be hard for me to help you. You seem to have eliminated a bunch of things yourself, so just keep looking is the best advice I can give you. You'll find it eventually.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

johnw8686

2000 elantra cold morning for 1 min tick video link included

Unread post by johnw8686 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:34 pm

2000 elantra 4 door, only in the morning time when cold for about one minute my car makes a ticking or rattle type noise then goes away quick. I just got the car put $4000 into and cant afford a new one so hoping it will last a couple years at least. My mechanic doesnt really know and says its maybe something about the piston expanding when warming up and thats why it stops and no big deal he says but im still afraid. any info will make me feel better hopefully its still good enough for a couple years http://youtu.be/nGYIt7uvNpY it can be heard most between the 10 and 15 second mark the loudest at like 12 or 13.

carriedi

Re: 2000 elantra cold morning for 1 min tick video link incl

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:23 pm

would be better to hear the noise out in the engine compartment but from what I heard it doesn't sound like piston slap. Valve lifter or timing chain maybe. If you only hear the noise on cold start ups I would think that it might be oil related. Try to listen to the noise out in the hood area and where in the engine does it sound like it's coming from. If it sounds like from the back of the head it might be the timing chain between the two cams.

If it is piston slap you can find out what cylinder by removing spark of fuel and see if the noise changes. Unplug the injectors one at a time and see if the noise goes away. Piston slap is usually a collapsed piston shirt from overheating or constant running with low oil level and not enough oil splash onto the cylinder walls. Has your engine over heated or had a long time oil leak?

use a stethoscope and try to locate where the noise is coming from.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Zarajohn

Re: My Car Is Making A Rattling Noise

Unread post by Zarajohn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:40 am

Hello,
On the off chance that it is originating from in the engine then it might be belt tensioner pulley or idler pulley bearing going terrible.

different suspects could be the water pump, force controlling, Alternator or A/C pulley - difficult to make sure.
Thanks
Zarajohn@