Saturn Aura gear shift

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Saturn questions.
ToriS

Saturn Aura gear shift

Unread post by ToriS » Thu May 10, 2018 8:44 am

Hi can anyone tell me why my car started shifting hard when changing gears as driving I don't shift gears it's a automatic car,but when I parked for about 20 mins and drove car again it shifted out right and not hard any help would be greatly appreciated?

carriedi

Re: Saturn Aura gear shift

Unread post by carriedi » Thu May 10, 2018 10:14 am

manual or automatic trans?

Is your check engine light on? Or has it come on and gone off? (affects auto trans)

If the input shaft on a manual trans isn't disengaged all the way it will make the shift hard to get in and out of gear because the gears are in motion. It makes it hard to get out of gear and harder to get into the next gear..

On a manual trans: How much free play do you have at the top of the pedal travel? And how far up does the pedal have to come up to start to move the car? How many miles do you have on this clutch disc? It's possible that the disc may have pieces starting to come off and getting stuck. that will cause shifting problems until the piece falls completely out and lets the rest of the chutch do it's job

if the clutch disc has something that gets stuck between the disc and either the pressure plate or flywheel it will keep the clutch disc spinning when you push on the clutch pedal.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Thu May 10, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks for replying, I have a automatic gear and so I'm guessing the transmission is automatic,automatic is where u have to push lever and put it in gear right? Check engine light was on when I got the car a month ago but after a oil change and cleaner put in the light went off.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 am

you should have the vehicle scanned to see if there is a code stored. Some saturns have a code P1811 and there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) Maximum Adapt and Long Shifts (Inspect Transaxle and Replace Pressure Control Solenoid) #04-07-30-020 - from Apr 15, 2004. The pressure control solenoid has been has been updated

this code may show up as full line pressure on the shift causing it to band into gear instead of the normal smooth shifting.

you should do a line pressure test if you have that p1811 code.

Some techs say that a Mass Air flow sensor (MAF) can cause the trans to default to high pressure shifts also.

Because the problem went away it will probably be difficult to diagnose. It's much easier to find the problem while the vehicle is acting up at the time. Since the problem went away you only have what history the car has stored to make a decision. and that may not be enough.

Have the car s=canned for engine and trans and see what shows up.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

ToriS

Unread post by ToriS » Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Ok thank you i will get the car scanned and see what comes up.