2005 CHEVY EXPRESS VAN 1500 Many Codes

Yem1

2005 CHEVY EXPRESS VAN 1500 Many Codes

Unread post by Yem1 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:33 am

When I start the van up in the mornings the engine sound is not steady/smooth.
It also stalls while in motion & I also smell petrol from the engine.
I got it diagnosed & this were the codes that came up:
P0161
P0054
P0060
P0102
P0122
P0141
P0200
P0300
P0506
P1121
P1380
C0035
C0550
Can you please advise me on what the problem might be & what parts I might need to replace.
Yours REPLIES would be greatly appreciated.

ProTech

Re: 2005 CHEVY EXPRESS VAN 1500 Many Codes

Unread post by ProTech » Thu May 30, 2013 7:46 pm

First of all, you can't have a 5.7L engine in your van, they don't make those anymore. You've probably mistaken it for a 5.3L engine, so please keep that in mind.

Quite a few trouble codes you've got there!! You probably have multiple issues going on and will need a few different repairs.

Let's start with the codes...

P0161 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 2 --- This code is for a faulty heater on the oxygen sensor located in the second position on the right hand bank of the engine. A bad O2 sensor can certainly cause the engine to run differently/rough/stall out. You should replace the sensor.

P0054 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 2 --- Another code for the O2 sensor in the first position on the right hand bank. Replace as well.

P0060 HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 2 Sensor 2 --- Another code like the first one, for the second O2 on the right side.

P0102 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Circuit Low Frequency --- Another item that can cause driveability issues....replace the MAF sensor to correct this.

P0122 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage --- This usually requires replacement of the throttle body assembly.

P0141 HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 2 --- Same as above for the O2 sensor, replace it.

P0200 Injector Control Circuit --- Usually a bad injector or wiring to the injectors.

P0300 Misfire Condition --- One or more cylinders are or have experienced a misfire condition due to a bad injector, spark plug, wire, coil, etc. Check and replace as necessary.

P0506 Idle Speed Low --- Usually caused by a clogged up throttle body. A cleaning will normally fix this, but due to the other throttle body codes, you will probably be replacing it anyway, so no need to clean it.

P1121 Throttle Position (TP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage --- Will be fixed with throttle body replacement.

P1380 Misfire Detected – Rough Road Data Not Available --- Same as P0300

C0035 Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit --- This is an ABS code for the left front wheel speed sensor. It can be just a bad sensor, or you may need the entire hub replaced if it's an internal malfuntion.

C0550 Electronic Control Unit (ECU) Performance --- This code usually means the EBCM is failing and needs to be replaced.

So...all in all you're at least looking at probably replacing both right side oxygen sensors, the throttle body, the Mass Airflow Sensor, and any other parts that might be causing a misfire. If you want the ABS problems fixed, you'd be looking at a sensor or a hub...and/or an EBCM replacement. This will be LOTS of money to repair!!
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Yem1

Re: 2005 CHEVY EXPRESS VAN 1500 Many Codes

Unread post by Yem1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:32 am

@ ProTech.
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have gone ahead to order the O2 sensors, MAF sensor, Left front wheel sensor & a used throttle body assembly.
I'll keep you posted when the parts are fixed in the van.
Once again, Thank you very much for your input. It was very highly appreciated