chevy express van won't start every couple of days

peb

chevy express van won't start every couple of days

Unread post by peb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi, my chevy express van will not start for 5-10 minutes every couple of days. Otherwise it starts fine. Could it be the ignition switch? Is this something I can fix? Thanks Phil

ProTech

Re: chevy express starter

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:31 pm

A little more information is needed here to be able to help you better. Are you leaving it sit with the key on for 5-10 minutes? Or do you just come back 5-10 minutes later and it starts, or are you trying constantly to start it and then finally after about 5-10 minutes it starts? Have any repairs been made? Is the security light on? Is the check engine light on?
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

peb

Unread post by peb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:03 pm

I Try to constantly start it. No recent repairs but service engine soon light is on. Has 177k miles. Thanks, Phil

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:27 pm

I'd have to say to get it scanned and see what codes are set to begin with so you don't replace anything that doesn't need it.

Otherwise, you're probably looking at a fuel pump that is on it's way out. This is usually the tell-tale sign when the van won't start for a bit. But, of course make sure of that before replacing it. If you can check fuel pressure, you should have at least 55psi with the key on and it should hold steady and not fall off.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

peb

Unread post by peb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm

I had the fuel pump replaced last year. I'll get it scanned. Thanks, Phil