Brakes

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.

Brakes

Unread post by GUEST » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:51 pm

Got a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 4.7 v8. Had my breaks looked at recently, was told front pads have about 30% life and rotors had scratches most likely due to foreign object. However, on the left front side, I am getting a very metallic grinding noise when breaking, could this be from just a worn rotor? or maybe the caliper needs to be realigned?

carriedi

Re: Brakes

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:06 pm

if you hear a metallic grinding noise when braking, I would take it back to a shop and have them verify that it's not metal to metal on the brake pad. There is no realigning for the caliper. It is self aligning unless you have been in an accident where the caliper bracket has been damaged.

30% actually isn't that low that you should replace the brakes right away. Look at how many miles you have driven since your last brake job. That many miles = 70% used. if 70% = how many miles how many miles does 30% have? It should be close to half the distance that you used so far.

Most vehicles don't wear the brake pads perfectly even. Inboard, outboard, top half, bottom half... the pad could be dragging because of rust or debris. A caliper piston could be stuck. you could have 30% on one pad and metal to metal on the other side. Did they take the wheels off to inspect the inner and outer pads? But, regardless, Have that grinding noise inspected. Never a good sound.