1992 dodge dynasty 3.3L

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
kyguy1980

1992 dodge dynasty 3.3L

Unread post by kyguy1980 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:35 pm

I am stumped! I have a 1992 dodge dynasty 3.3L and have been working on it all week. I have been searching the net everywhere for 2 days and can not find the fix for this car. So here's the problem a friend was driving along and the car stalled out and it will crank, but will not start back up. I have replaced the ASD, cam and crank sensor, the coil, the computer deal on the passenger side fender wall (sorry cant remember what it was called), checked all fuses and relays under the hood and inside of vehicle. I have looked over all the wires and connectors all seem to be ok. When I turn they key over the oil, fuel, and check gauges light comes on and all go off except the check gauges light stays on. I tried to get codes doing they key switch on and off and it does nothing. I took a cover off of the asd relay and held a metal tester tip to it and the fuel pump will kick on, but still will not start. Theres no spark at the plugs or coil. I tried replacing with new ones also. I was going to order ignition switch next. If anyone could send me in the right direction for this fix (besides taking to a shop or junkyard) I would appreciate it very much. Thanks!

carriedi

Re: 1992 dodge dynasty 3.3L

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Stop replacing parts. Unless you are rich. You have probably spent more on parts that you didn't need than it would have cost you to take it to a shop and have them diagnose it for you. If you don't have the tools to see what's working and what's not you're going to just keep guessing. And that gets expensive.

check the crank sensor. Now I know you replaced both the PCM and the crank sensor but you still have to verify the basics.

the crank sensor has a three wire connector. 1. Power wire. 8 volts from the computer. 2. the computer ground wire. 3. the crank sensor signal wire to the computer. You can unplug the crank sensor wire and verify that you are getting the 8 volt power with a multimeter on the orange wire. A lab scope or graphing multimeter would let you see if you are getting the correct signal for the crank sensor. If you have a new sensor, did you install it correctly? With the correct gap?

If you don't have the 8 volts needed then you need to check for a short in the circuit or verify that the computer is sending out the 8 volt signal.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

kyguy1980

Unread post by kyguy1980 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:25 pm

I will check that thanks for the response. This car quit running and I am not the one that started buying all of the parts. I would've just put it in the shop before I spent that much time and money on everything. Now he says he can't afford to put in the shop lol. Thanks again for the reply and advise.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 am

ok, just make sure the crank sensor is all the way in before you do anything else. It's kind of critical that the gap is correct.

kyguy1980

Unread post by kyguy1980 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Well triple checked the crank sensor it is pushed all the way in and was getting 8V. The fuel pump doesn't even kick on when key is turned over. I hate having to bug you I know you have to be busy. I've worked on quite a few vehicles, but never have had this sort of problem. Do you know what computer that is on the drivers side fender? I believe its the ecm, but may be wrong. Again sorry to bother you with this first time I have ever had to get on here to ask for any kind of assistance.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:36 pm

In the first post you said that you turned the fuel pump on with the asd relay. you didn't say the pump did not turn on without you touching the relay.

yes the ecm is on the drivers side fender.

If the fuel pump doesn't come on when you cycle the key then look at that first. That should come on. If the computer isn't turning that on it might not be turning the spark on also.

the fuel pump has 4 wires. dark green and black that goes to the fuel pump. Red and white that goes to the fuse that powers up the pump. and the two control wires. dark blue and yellow goes to the asd relay for power and dark blue that goes to the SBEC. unplug the connector to the fuel pump relay and test the control wire pins in the connector. do you have power from the ASD and do you get a ground signal from the computer when you cycle the key or crank the engine.

the dark green and orange wire is the the same circuit to the ignition coil and injectors. So, if you have power on the dark green and orange wire to the coil and injectors then the asd relay turned on and you should also have power to the fuel pump relay. Do you have the ground signal from the computer? The fuel pump is turned on from the control side of the asd relay. Dark blue goes to pin #9 on the computer (ignition feed)

kyguy1980

Unread post by kyguy1980 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:37 pm

The fuel pump had turned on when putting a metal probe down in relay, but never by itself even with new relays. I will check all of the wires there and again I appreciate the advise/help thanks.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:16 pm

yes, if you use a test light with a bulb and touch the computer's terminal you will supply the ground signal that the fuel pump needs.