2006 CHRYSLER 300 5.7 OVERHEATED

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
HAMMER

2006 CHRYSLER 300 5.7 OVERHEATED

Unread post by HAMMER » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:36 pm

I was traveling down the highway this afternoon when my Chrysler 300 started overheating. I instantly pulled the car over and shut the engine off and let it cool off for a few minutes. When I tried to start the engine it would not crank unless I held the accelerator to the floor when it finally started it had a loud clanging noise and would not idle. Could it have jumped time and could that have destroyed the engine. The car has 60,000 miles on it.

carriedi

Re: 2006 CHRYSLER 300 5.7 OVERHEATED

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:08 pm

60k miles isn't many miles for a timing chain problem to happen. (But anything is possible)

this may be terminology but an engine cranking is when you put the key into the start position and the starter cranks the engine. (cranking is the same thing as engine turning over) Normally, after cranking the engine over it will start up and run. Now some newer cars don't use the key to crank the engine over. (some don't even have a key) The body control module will start the motor. The start button or the key will just be a switch that tells the BCM to engage the starter to get the engine running.

so, when you say it wouldn't crank until you put the pedal to the floor do you mean that it didn't crank over or do you mean that it was cranking over but wouldn't start?

I would have a shop look at your motor for the noise you heard. Usually if a timing chain gets worn enough to be bad they jump time. The first thing you would notice is that there is a loss of power. The engine might run a little rougher. If it gets too far off it will stall the engine. It would be hard to restart just like you said happened to your car. But might restart if you can keep the RPM's high enough to keep the inertia of the motor to stay running. Probably won't idle though because RPM's too low. Doesn't usually overheat though. And doesn't usually make a clanging noise.

how did you come to notice that the engine was running hot? did anything else different happen while all this was going on? The more information you can give your tech the more accurately they can look for your problem. How fast were you going? what kind of load was on the engine? How hot do you think it got and for how long. how was your heater working?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Baldskinner

Re: 2006 CHRYSLER 300 5.7 OVERHEATED

Unread post by Baldskinner » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 pm

HAMMER wrote:I was traveling down the highway this afternoon when my Chrysler 300 started overheating. I instantly pulled the car over and shut the engine off and let it cool off for a few minutes. When I tried to start the engine it would not crank unless I held the accelerator to the floor when it finally started it had a loud clanging noise and would not idle. Could it have jumped time and could that have destroyed the engine. The car has 60,000 miles on it.
Once I over heated and it was a top 2"radiator hose leak the engine froze up and would not crank at all. Then after working 8 hours I fixed the hose leak and re-filled with water and she started up and I drove home. Never had any other problems think GOD.