2002 Dodge Caravan Engine lurching

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
got2bteri

2002 Dodge Caravan Engine lurching

Unread post by got2bteri » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 am

Hello. My van recently has been lurching forward and a bit backwards too. It happens while driving 20 mph and 65 mph. It scares me! I did research, it looks like maybe the throttle body and idle air control need cleaning? Also my battery terminals are caked with gunk. Does anyone think there is more to it? Or does it sound like I found out the cause? Thank you

carriedi

Re: 2002 Dodge Caravan Engine lurching

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:13 pm

you will need to drive it with a scanner on to watch the data stream. see what is happening when the problem occurs. TPS could be a problem. IAC, throttle body coking usually causes a stall at stop or a low idle until the computer catches up with the reduced air flow. You might also watch the trans. When you say lurching forward and a bit backwards is a little confusing. Does the engine RPM jump up? Is the tranny shifting? Is the trans slipping then catching? is there a hesitation then the car jump back up? Are you driving steady at 65 and it happens or is it when you are accelerating? I would assume you are accelerating when it happens at 20 right? It could be an ignition misfire that will feel like someone turned the key off and back on really quick. Without actually going on a test drive with you it will be hard to pinpoint any specific repair action.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

got2bteri

Unread post by got2bteri » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:36 pm

When I first start my van, some days not every day, it will rev up then act like it will die and sometimes it does die. Then when I'm driving 20 (speed limit in my town) it lurches forward over and over again, and sometimes dies while driving or at a stop sign. I was going somewhere Friday, and was going 60, and it was still lurching for 3 miles so I turned around and came home. I didn't want to get stuck somewhere. you asked: " Does the engine RPM jump up? Is the tranny shifting? Is the trans slipping then catching? is there a hesitation then the car jump back up? " I haven't paid attention to the rpm, and don't know anything about the other stuff. I did research online/youtube and have 1 person that is going to help me clean up the stuff I mentioned in my first post. I sure hope the tranny isn't slipping, I really need my car. Thank you so much for answering.

got2bteri

Unread post by got2bteri » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:27 am

:mrgreen: :D :) ;) So very happy! I have a friend that looked at my van, and her friend did too, and I need my fuel pump replaced. So glad to know what the problem is

mickeyswing52

Unread post by mickeyswing52 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:26 pm

I have a 2007 t&c van with a 3.8l automatic.In city driving the rpm will change about 100 to 150 rpm, surge up and down . It runs fine on the highway. What should I look for. Trans fluid has been changed. What should I look for. Van has about 113,000 miles on. Thanks Lynn

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:32 am

you should have your vehicle scanned while the condition exists to see if the surge is engine related or trans related. At speeds around 35 mph it could be the torque lock up going in and out.

mickeyswing52

Unread post by mickeyswing52 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:06 pm

I took the throttle body out and cleaned it. It had a lot black carbon build up. Cleaned it with carb cleaner.
The up -down change in rpm seem to be gone. Will let you know if it stays that way. Thanks

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 pm

throttle body coking is very common but usually affects idle when the throttle is closed and not enough air gets through. Once you start driving you open the throttle plate and it shouldn't be that much of a problem. But, many stranger things have happened. IAC could also have been dirty making it sticky.

If that takes care of everything that would be great. Way better than a trans problem.