Loud bang and clanking from rear.

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
Cas

Loud bang and clanking from rear.

Unread post by Cas » Thu May 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Hey. I backed my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo out of the driveway yesterday. Driveway is steep...I was going down with my foot on the brake when I got to the end I heard a loud bang. I was like shoot! I hit a car. That's what it sounded like. Looked and no car. Got out and looked under the car nothing there. Got back into the car and drove about 15 mph down the block and another loud noise. Stopped the car, put it into park and checked the rear again, didn't see anything. Drove on for about a minute at 30mph and hear another sound. Took the car back up the driveway and down the block to test and nothing. Later on it was tested again and a loud noise was heard.

Dropped it off at the auto repair today. They lifted it and checked underneath. They test drove it twice nothing. I picked the jeep up and headed home and heard clank/clank/clank, three or four times. The driver behind me heard it also. Brought it back to the repair shop...he drove it around with us and nothing. He brought it back to the shop and put it on the lift again and said don't see anything wrong.

I know nothing about cars...and am at a loss if a repair shop can't find the problem. Any ideas?

ProTech

Re: Loud bang and clanking from rear.

Unread post by ProTech » Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Unfortunately, that happens quite a bit. I can't tell you how many times I've been on a test drive with a customer and their vehicle doesn't make the noise or act up at all.

With this type of problem, you really do need the mechanic to hear it. If nothing is visibly broken or loose and making noise as they check around and underneath it, then it's the type of problem you have to have happen to find it.

It could be something inside the rear end that is broken, or about to break, or a bad suspension component, etc.

If you can find a spot that you can get your vehicle to make the noise all the time, then it's totally acceptable to bring the mechanic to that street/driveway or where ever so he can hear it and get an idea of what it might be.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

KevinM

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo wont start

Unread post by KevinM » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:35 am

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 1999.
Wasn't getting any heat in my jeep. I figured the heater core was bad. I took the dash and everything out, put the new heater core in. Now my Jeep won't crank nor start. No nothing lights don't even come on. Even went and got new battery. Still nothing. Help. Any suggestions?

carriedi

Re: Loud bang and clanking from rear.

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:38 am

That is a very big job. It sounds like you didn't get something plugged back in. Look for a wiring connector that you missed. Ignition switch connector?

what works and what doesn't work? Or does nothing work?

Did you check for power in the fuse block? Power from the ignition (in run) switch goes to the junction block fuse box. Fuses 12, 21, 22, 32, 30, 29, 26 should all have power with the key in run. if you don't have power on those fuses then the ignition switch connector is probably not plugged in.

Congrats on getting the heater core in there. That is a very big job.