ram 1500 cam/ crank sensor

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
bigpete034

ram 1500 cam/ crank sensor

Unread post by bigpete034 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 pm

i have a 2000 ram 1500 p/u 5.2 l auto 4x4 it was giving a cam sensor/pickup p0340 code. I put a new aftermarket cam p/u it started once kinda hard so i shut it off tried to restart nogo. Tried again it started. Let run a bit, shut it off, no start. When warmed up and shut more than a couple minutes. I think mostly if restarted right away it will start.

I called my mechanic buddy and he was sure the no hot start was the 3 month old aftermarket crank sensor with the old cam sensor and the new crank sensor in it ran! I put the air cleaner etc back on and it would not start. Truck gave the P0340 code again for a cam sensor, so back to parts store for third cam sensor put that in forgot to plug in. It tried to start. We figured what i did wrong. Pluged it in it wont start.

Could i have hurt the cam sensor by turning the engine over with it unplugged ? Does anyone know why? I have owned this truck three years. Daily driven and taken care of. No huge changes lately. Using a super chip on it removed it yesterday. My mechanic says its burning everything out. The first crank sensor was replaced in September along with a rebuilt transmission. Truck is in the garage not running, i need it to make a living help please.

TerryAuto

Re: ram 1500 cam/ crank sensor

Unread post by TerryAuto » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:54 pm

I would say it is not the Cam sensor. A problem in the cam sensor circuit will cause an engine to be hard to start, sometimes start right up. That is what is is for. It is used for fuel injector and spark timing, so with it not functioning properly, you have a 1 in 8 (V8 engine) chance of it starting right away, and a 7 in 8 chance of it taking a while to start. Make sense?

You probably have a wiring problem between the sensor and the computer. You are going to need to have the wires checked for an open or short circuit.

I do not believe in any aftermarket chips, but they should not damage any other components.

No, you would not cause any damage by trying to start it without the sensor plugged in. But, it will set a code right away, the computer will go into a defualt setting, and will be hard to start. So clear the codes, make sure everything is plugged, and try to start it.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

bigpete034

ram 1500 cam/crank sensor

Unread post by bigpete034 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 pm

In response to the wiring possible problem on my 2000 Ram, I checked the cam sensor plug and there is three wires there as i understood it. One is a ground the other two are power? Is that right? With test light i found power on one prong, is this correct ?(key in on poisition).

ProTech

Re: ram 1500 cam/crank sensor

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:59 pm

One wire is ground, one wire is a 5 volt reference (power), and the third wire is the signal wire going back to the computer.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

bigpete034

Re: ram 1500 cam/crank sensor

Unread post by bigpete034 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Hello to those who helped me with my Dodge cam sensor issue. Your advice was most helpful. Thank you the problem was a bad ground to the cam sensor. All seems well, thank you!