2007 Dodge Ram 1500 dead spot when accelerating

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
james

running without my catalytic converters is bad

Unread post by james » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:28 pm

I have a 2005 dodge ram 1500 SLT 4.7eng and my catalytic converters are stopping up .what if I went with straight pipes and took out the catalytic converters. is that bad on my eng. ?I heard that its ok and get a little more horse power?

TerryAuto

Re: running with out my cataltic converters .is that bad?

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 am

Yes, you can run the truck without catalytic converters. It will not do any damage to the engine. You MAY notice a small increase in power.

With that said, converters usually go bad because of a problem the way the engine is running. Usually becuase of a very rich (poor gas mileage) condition or more often an engine misfire. If they are plugged up, you will noti ce more power because the exhaust is not restricted any more, but if they went because of an underlying problem, that probelm won't be fixed.

If you have to take your truck in for emissions / smog tests, then you will fail because the catalytic converters are not there, which they will see, and the exhaust is not being cleaned, so the pollution numbers will be too high.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

mongo41

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 dead spot when accelerating

Unread post by mongo41 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:53 pm

When driving my truck, there is a dead space when I press on the accelerator. It begins to accelerate fine. the dead space is when the truck is above 40 mph. I will keep pressing and nothing happens, then suddenly, the rpm's jump to nearly 5000, but the accleration is slow.

Also, recently during minor speed changes, the transmission slams into the next higher or lower gear, just enough to feel it. It does not do this when the cruise control is engaged and the speed drops or increases slightly on the hills. The transmission fluid level is fine.

scotty

Re: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 dead spot when accelerating

Unread post by scotty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 pm

This is a strange problem. Hard to tell if it is engine or transmission related.
The first you describe almost sounds like the transmission is not downshifting until you give it enough gas, that it actually downshifts 2 gears. That is why the RPM's go so high. Usually on accleration from 40 or above, the trans will shift out of tourque converter lock up(TCC), or overdrive. But the RPM jumping so high sounds like it is downshifting to 2nd or even 1st gear.

The other is a transmission problem if it shifts hard.

I would have a transmission tech drive it. He would be able to tell by the feel and hearing it.

You can also try a "Brake torque". Put the truck in drive, foor on brake real hard, and hit the gas half way down, then let up, then half way down. If you feel the engine sputter, this is a misfire and that should be fixed first. This is usually caused by an ignition component like a spark plug, wire or coil.

moni1620

my stuttering car

Unread post by moni1620 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm

My 2006 dodge stratus, it all of a sudden throws up a check engine light and then starts to stutter and keep down shifting while im driving, take my foot off the gas and it shifts back down, when i give it gas it does the same thing, whats wrong with this car, its the 2nd time doing it to me....OMG....pleseeeeeeee help......??

carriedi

Re: my stuttering car

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:30 am

you need to find out what the check engine light comes on for first. Engine or trans problem. Transmission malfunction may put trans in limp mode (stays in 2nd gear) until the code goes away or until the key is cycled. The code will give you the direction to look. Usually...
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.