Jeep Cherokee engine dies 10 secs after start

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Dodge and Chrysler questions.
joeycar

2004 chrysler pacifica

Unread post by joeycar » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 pm

I am doing a timing belt, water pump, and tensioner pulley change. My question is about the camshaft, my buddy was trying to get the timing marks lined up but instead of rotating the crankshaft, he turned the right camshaft and he turned it full revolutions a couple of times, i heard this causes engine damage, what are the chances he has ruined my engine by doing this? thank you and god bless

ProTech

Re: 2004 chrysler pacifica

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:45 pm

It's not out of the question that he may have damaged something, since your engine is what's called an 'interference engine'. This means the valves can hit the pistons if out of 'time' enough. You may be ok, since turning by hand power is a lot less damaging than the engine actually running and doing it. You may be ok, but there is only two ways to find out.

Either finish your work and hope for the best when you start it up, or you would have to remove the cylinder head to make sure no damage had occurred.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

gesauve

Jeep Cherokee engine dies 10 secs after start

Unread post by gesauve » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm

Jeep Cherokee 6L 4.0 starts and runs for 10 secs and dies Dtc trouble codes ( none) connection to cpm is lost when engine dies, I use Auto-tap software to read codes. Have checked all connectors to sensors and cpm to no avail. On one occasion with cpm removed from firewall engine ran for several minutes but when re-installed died again. Have tried to re-create situation again to no avail??? :?:

ProTech

Re: Jeep Cherokee engine dies 10 secs after start

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:44 pm

It could be a security issue, but hard to say since you can't pull any codes. I would not recommend auto tap software at all, as it can be very vague and not read all systems. You really need it scanned with a factory scanner, but that means you have to take it to the dealer.

It could also be a computer problem, but again, someone would have to be watching the live data stream when it acts up to see what is glitching out or causing the stall.

Either way, and without just guessing at parts, you may just have to take it in.

Konnichiwa

06 Chrysler 300 3.5 Stalls and no performance

Unread post by Konnichiwa » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

Hi there
Working on 06 Chrysler300 3.5l
Replaced spark plugs and now I have lightening bolt/ trac control display on dash.
When these lights come on seems car goes into a limp mode with no performance and stalls.
When try restart u have to cycle the ign few times then starts
I traced back to what I done and noticed there is a flat spot on the planum gasket, these are the gaskets usually b able to reuse so did not pay much attention the first time.
I thought I had it figured out, but no difference and did not see anything out of place.
Any ideas

ProTech

Re: 06 Chrysler 300 3.5

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:04 pm

First idea.....get it scanned and see what code or codes you set by doing the work. If the trac light comes on, there will definitely be some information stored as to why it did. I'd start there first and you should be able to find your problem.

natewms71

dodge Durango no 4wd

Unread post by natewms71 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 am

my 2002 dodge durango want go into four wheel drive my four wheel drive indicator light want come on.

Karl

Re: dodge durango

Unread post by Karl » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm

First thing is to check all fuses.
If none of the lights work you may have a bad selector switch or a poor electrical connection.
A scan of the four wheel drive computer may be needed to help diagnose it, that is if they can get data out of it. The module itself may be bad.
It is a blue computer under the dash. The module (TCCM) is what controls the lights and the actual function of the 4-wheel drive system.
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery

treyperkins23

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 5.2 engine

Unread post by treyperkins23 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:09 pm

When truck is cold i have to flood the engine to get it to start then i have to keep the rpm around 3 till it warms up then it runs great i can turn it off and it will start right back up but if it gets cold you have to restart the process. I have replaced the Idle Air Control Valve and the Throttle Position Sensor. I cleaned the throttle body. And it still does the same thing. What else could it be. i just changed the Engine Colant temp sensor to and still the same problem now if i dont keep the rmp above 3500 rmp it just dies