2000 Honda CRV warm idle problem engine dies

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Honda questions now.
roland

2000 Honda CRV warm idle problem engine dies

Unread post by roland » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:22 pm

Replaced timing belt on my 2000 Honda CRv. Followed instructions and triple checked so that cams and crank were at tdc. Started car and appears to run fine. Except when engine reaches normal operating temp idle drops and engine dies .now am getting fuel trim code telling me running rich. What might be the problem? While changing belt I also changed water pump. I also did an idle relearn. Anyone know what may be wrong?

carriedi

Re: 2000 Honda CRV warm idle problem engine dies

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:37 am

when you did your timing belt, did you turn the crank around by hand one full cycle and see if all your timing marks were still all lined up? this way you take all the tensions on the timing components out and can see when the crank that the cams are still lined up.

if it was running fine before and the only thing that has changed is the timing belt work, you might be one tooth off on a cam.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

roland

Unread post by roland » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:15 pm

If I'm one tooth off, would the car still start? What you mentioned did cross my mind. I thought I had checked that but I may not have looked close enough. I'll take off the valve cover and put the crank at tdc and take a look at the cam positions. At least the camshaft have a tdc locating hole that matches up with the cap so it should be relatively easy to check. Thanks for the reply. The car did run fine before, and I didn't do anything more than what was in my post.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:02 pm

yes, the car can start and run with the cam timing off. Especially when it's cold, when the engine gets more fuel normally. After the engine comes up to normal temp and the computer takes control of the fuel and timing it will notice that the engine is not running correctly and try to compensate. So if the engine thinks it is running rich it will cut back fuel at the injectors. If you car is running rich from the timing and not a fuel condition, then cutting fuel through the injectors will not let enough fuel to the cylinder on the get go.

it's just something you should verify.
Attachments
2000 crv 2.0.jpg
2000 crv 2.0.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 21309 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

roland

Unread post by roland » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Darn if I wasn't one tooth off on the exhaust cam sprocket. I guess I just saw wrong, or I didn't have the correct size drill in the line up hole. Whatever the reason, repositioning the belt on that cam sprocket took care of the problem. Doesn't take much to throw everything off! Thank you for the insight!