1992 Honda Civic Has A Low Idle

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Honda questions now.

1992 Honda Civic Has A Low Idle

Unread post by Guest » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:51 pm

I Have A 1992 honda civic 1.6 with 135,000 my car has very low idle during a stop sign or light almost to the point of dying recently replaced spark plugs the cables and oil and filter.also air filter but still same problem also the car shakds way too much please help.

ProTech

Re: 1992 Honda Civic Has A Low Idle

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm

Lots of things can cause a low idle, such as a restriction in either the air intake path or exhaust, or even a restriction of fuel being delivered to the engine. A clogged fuel filter, or fuel pump that is going bad can do this as well.

If the vehicle is 'shaking' it seems you might have a misfire which can be due to bad ignition components or internal engine problems. You might want to re-check the installation of the spark plugs and ignition wires just to make sure that's all in order. If it is, you might want to do a compression check to see if you've got something internally that's gone wrong. If the timing is off, say due to a belt or chain that is stretched, this can affect the idle as well. If the check engine light is on, I'd surely recommend getting it scanned to see what codes are stored and go from there.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+