Starting/Running Problem...

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Honda questions now.
dusabrive

Starting/Running Problem...

Unread post by dusabrive » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:29 pm

(1988 Honda Accord Lx) The engine cranks but doesn't stay running; When I press the accelerator to try to get the engine to idle, it doesn't rev; It feels like there is absolutely no power- then it shuts off. The symptoms are similar to when the fuel filter is clogged. Here is what I tried: I made sure it had gas, it's receiving fuel to the carburetor, no fuel filter clogs etc, fuel pump works, I checked the fuses, it's getting a spark from the coil and it looks like the choke isn't sticking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

carriedi

Re: Starting/Running Problem...

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:14 am

will it start if you manually add fuel? are you getting fuel pressure to the carb? with the engine not running, if you pump the gas pedal do you have a stream of fuel shooting down the carb? Could be a fuel pump issue.

Does the engine sound normal when cranking? Timing belt may be bad.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

dusabrive

Unread post by dusabrive » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 am

It's getting plenty of fuel to the engine and the timing belt isn't broken.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:23 pm

Can you tell me how you know it's getting plenty of fuel? And how you know the timing belt is good and the cam is in time? But if these things are true, you only have spark and exhaust to look at for "no run".

you need compression, burnable fuel, spark and exhaust to let an engine run. Have you checked your spark to see if you have a good spark going to the plugs? Sometimes these cars have the distributor go out. Or the coil may be bad. or the rotor may get burned through and the spark goes to ground inside the cap. If you have good spark and you have plenty of fuel going through the carb, is the exhaust letting the pressure through out the tailpipe? (plugged cat or a bad cat and plugged muffler could stop an engine from running)
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

raneger

Unread post by raneger » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:11 pm

There seems to be a problem at the fuel pump.