troubleshooting a "fluke" incident

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
riverratt

troubleshooting a "fluke" incident

Unread post by riverratt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Hi there long time do it yourself mechanic first time poster.

I have a 92 4runner 3.0 v-6 that I use as my haul truck when I go fishing and it did something really strange the other day. I'm looking to try to narrow my search if y'all could help me out.

The other day I was coming back from my favorite lake when I set my cruise control on flat ground, just long enough to take off my boots. When I canceled the cruise control my truck started making a rattling/pinging sound. The truck instantly lost power and began heave hoeing under the load.

This lasted for about 10 min when I turned off the cruise control dash light. Within 30 seconds the pinging stopped and power was restored. The truck ran perfect for the next 2 1/2 hours.

Once I got home I drained the oil and ran a magnet through. I found no shavings at all.

What do you think? Anyone have any ideas.

carriedi

Re: troubleshooting a "fluke" incident

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:06 pm

without being there to check it out I would just be guessing, but that said, the only thing that the cruise system has that would affect the engine is the vacuum portion of the cruise control. If the vent of the cruise control was open with the vacuum port open at the same time it could cause a vacuum leak. The unmetered air could lean out your air/fuel ratio and and cause pinging and a lean misfire. But that's just a shot in the dark. Unless you can duplicate the problem and scan the engine data it would be very difficult to say what happened.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

riverratt

Unread post by riverratt » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks. I never use my cruise control, in fact this is probably the first time in 5 years that I have. I'm just worried that the fact that I just turned the cruise just happened to be the same time something cut loose. To me it sounded like a rocker or spring but I don't see how that would be possible considering that it did fine for the last 2 1/2 hours.

If you think it was something to do with the cruise then I'll just not use it again.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:52 am

Like I said before, it's just a guess. I have no idea what actually happened. I was going by the information supplied. If changing the operation of your cruise control affected the way your engine operated it would be a conclusion that they might be tied together. But, in might just have been a coincidence. Stranger things have happened.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.