Alternator noise in my car

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
Mycamry05

Alternator noise in my car

Unread post by Mycamry05 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:55 pm

My car has a strange noise coming from the alternator. What's wrong and can I drive it to the shop more than 40 miles from where I live?

carriedi

Re: Alternator noise in my car

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:00 pm

most of the time you can drive with the alternator making noise. Of course, it could also seize the alternator and throw off the belt. Most cars use a serpentine belt that runs all the belt driven components, so if you lose the belt you lose power steering and water pump operation as well.

bearing noise from an alternator could mean the bearings could heat up and seize however many people drive with the noise for days before they take it in to a shop to see what's going on. Many alternators use an over running clutch on the drive pulley. They can cause a noise all by them selves. They are not as critical as they bearing as to how long you can drive before something goes seriously wrong.

so, to say if you can drive it 40 miles... no I can't give you any help. You are taking your chances. If you decide to drive it to the shop, take your cell phone with you just in case.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.