Starter problem toyota matrix

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
Fatz317

Starter problem toyota matrix

Unread post by Fatz317 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:43 am

Hi, I have a 2003 Toyota matrix was giving starter problems. this morning would not start. took battery in and was told it was bad. I replaced but it still will not turn over. tried to jump start, pop starter and put scanner on it and it is not giving me a bad reading. any ideas? should I just change starter or is there a starter relay switch on this model toyota?

getterdun

Re: Starter problem toyota matrix

Unread post by getterdun » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Hi,

I'll give you my two cents worth in the interest of helping.

If I were you I'd next figure out how to bypass the starter solenoid so you can get direct battery voltage to the starter. You may have already tried this, but I wasn't sure from reading your post. Anyway, lets assume this works. Then I would first verify that the solenoid is getting voltage when the key is turned. If so, I'd replace the solenoid. If the starter did not turn over, the next thing I would check for is a faulty ground from the starter. There should be a large wire connected to the starter that is also connected to ground (or maybe to the battery negative terminal). I'd find it, disconnect, clean, and reconnect, then try starting again. Another thought for testing would be to use regular battery jumper cables to connect directly to the starter. That's all I can think of now. But, I'm not even addressing a bad feed to the solenoid. You can check the voltage there when the key is turned on. If you don't get 12v, then the problem is the feed. This could mean bad ignition switch or bad starter relay, or the wiring between these components.

Good luck!

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:12 pm

yes, you have a starter relay in the instrument panel junction block behind the left side of dash. If you have anti-theft there will be another relay (starter cut relay) behind upper right side of dash. If you don't have anti-theft you won't have the other relay (starter cut relay). You may want to use a test light down at the starter to see if the starter is getting the signal from the ignition switch. The starter has two wires going to it. One big one from the battery (+) and one small black wire from the ignition switch. Make sure you have battery voltage to the big cable connection at the starter. then check to see if you have battery voltage on the small black wire at the starter when the key is in the start position. If you have power when the ignition is in start you have a starter or starter solenoid problem. If you don't have power to the solenoid with the ignition switch in start look at the starter relay, clutch switch if you have a manual trans, neutral safety switch if it's an automatic, starter cut relay if you have one or ignition switch. You could apply power to the small black wire to the starter solenoid to see if the starter works. BE CAREFUL! IF YOU HAVE THE CAR IN GEAR AND APPLY POWER TO THE STARTER SOLENOID AND THE ENGINE CRANKS OVER, IT WILL START AND RUN AWAY. MANUAL OR AUTOMATIC.

Just to clear up something, the starter only cranks the engine over. When you say it doesn't turn over you mean no crank right? some people say won't turn over meaning no run after cranking. when you turn the key to the start position, what happens? 1 big click every time you go to start position? Nothing happens at all? Starter cranks the engine but won't start?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

Cain

Unread post by Cain » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:04 am

No power to black starter wire

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:22 am

if you are not getting battery power on the black wire to the starter solenoid check the starter relay in the instrument panel fuse box. That's where the power to the black wire connects to the battery. The ignition switch, neutral safety and then the starter relay all have to connect to allow power to the solenoid.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.