1992 toyota camry over heating

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
michellealcantar01

1992 toyota camry over heating

Unread post by michellealcantar01 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:10 pm

my car has been over heating the first time I heard a clicking sound before my car shut off. I have to fill my water everytime i want to leave the house i have not seen a dicolor in my engine oil but now when i drive my car shakes.. any suggestions?

carriedi

Re: 1992 toyota camry over heating

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:37 am

it sounds like you may have a blown head gasket now. Anytime an engine overheats with an aluminum head there is a possibility to damage the head gasket contact between the head and block. The engine and the head expand when they get warm. The head gasket between the two surfaces should keep them sealed during normal temperatures. When an engine OVERHEATS the expansion of the head and block exceeds the limits of head gasket. The engine and the block don't expand at the same rate. Head usually expands more than the block. When the head expands differently than the block it separates the head gasket contact.

When the coolant port through the head gasket starts to leak into the cylinder you could get white smoke out the tailpipe. When the engine starts to run rough means that enough coolant is going into the cylinder that it causes the cylinder to miss. You should get a check engine light for a misfire code to tell you what cylinder. If not you may want to check by cutting off the spark or the injector pulse to each cylinder one at a time to see which cylinder doesn't change the idle as much as the others. Then with the engine off, remove the spark plug from the weak cylinder and pressure test the cooling system and watch for coolant into the cylinder. If you have a borescope you could look down into all the cylinders and look to see which piston top looks cleaned off. Most times the coolant hitting the piston will clean off the carbon.

If it is a blown head gasket problem you have to try and figure why it went bad. You don't want to replace the head gasket and have the original overheat problem overheats the engine again because it hasn't been addressed.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

idowu

my toyota camry 2001 drags

Unread post by idowu » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:54 am

my toyota camry 2001 drags mostly especially when climbing hills, no matter hard i pressed the throttle pedal, the rpm does not go beyond 2x1000rpm in drive mode but it rev well in idle(park mode though the rpm is always 0.3x1000rpm even with ac on),it consumes fuel abnormally(1L to 2km)it also emits black smoke. I have clean the air flow meter , air filter and changed the fuel pump but the problem still persist.

carriedi

Re: my toyota camry 2001 drags

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:30 am

ok, first thing is the black smoke. Black smoke is unburned fuel. That means your fuel mileage could be better. Have you hooked up your car to a scanner and looked at the data stream? Or codes? You might have a coolant temp sensor reading too cold so when the engine is warmed up you're still getting a rich mixture. And if this has been going on for a while your cat may be damaged.

when you top out at 2000 rpm is the engine still running smoothly, not missing just no more power or does it start cutting out?

you should actually drive your car with the scanner on it and see what is happening when it acts up. Drive up a bid incline and see what your O2 sensor does and what the fuel is doing. Is your car the 2.2 or the 3.0?
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.