Toyota Sequoia starting issues

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Toyota questions.
joey1398

Toyota Sequoia starting issues

Unread post by joey1398 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:10 am

My 2003 Toyora Sequoia will start and then stop a second or two later. But will start and run fine the second time I start it. It does this all of the time. Any ideas?

Karl

Re: Toyota Sequoia starting issues

Unread post by Karl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

It sounds like you have a low fuel pressure problem or possibly just carbon build-up in the throttle.
Fuel injected engines need a minimum amount of pressure to start. If it is a little low because of a plugged fuel filter or weak pump, the pressure will build up on the second restart and then run fine.

Carbon in throttle will also cause idle problems. When the engine starts and stalls, the computer will compensate and raise the idle for the next restart.

Suggest getting the fuel filter replaced and throttle cleaned and see if that helps. If not, then the fuel pressure would need to inspected with a proper gauge.
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery

joey1398

2003 Sequoia starting problem

Unread post by joey1398 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:58 am

I changed the fuel filter with no change to the starting problem. I then pulled codes p0101 and p0102 so I changed the mass air flow sensor with no change. It's now showing that all 4 oxygen sensors are bad. Should I change all of those? I still have to clean the throttle body. Do you think that will help or should I check for the right fuel pressure first. Thanks for any feedback.

Karl

Re: Toyota Sequoia starting issues

Unread post by Karl » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:34 pm

I cant see that all oxygen sensors are bad. Those codes were probably caused by the way it is running. The codes are the result, not the caused. Unless there is a blown fuse for all O2 sensors?

Yes, i would check fuel pressure next.
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery