2003 ford escape xlt car will not start no power

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
msladya1

2003 ford escape xlt car will not start no power

Unread post by msladya1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:51 pm

I had my car parked for a year without the battery installed. I came back to town and bought new battery installed it and car started up no problem. I drove it two or three times very short distance no problem. This morning I went to start and completely drained. I could not use key fob to unlock, I had to unlock manually. I used a multi meter to check battery and got a reading of 1.53. Had a friend come over and attempt to jump battery. Lights and gauges all came on but when trying to start all I got was click click click, more than what I got before. So I let it charge for a about ten minutes. I used the meter to check again now voltage read 11.66.
Still no start only clicking. I then unhooked cables. As soon as I unhooked them I then had to manually lock my doors I was back to no lights no nothing. Not understanding why it would instantly lose power. And why did this happen all the sudden?. I went and bought another battery installed it. The lights didnt even flicker on . It showed no sign of power . I have a viper alarm 3305v model. It responds normal when the car was trying to be jumped . But again as soon as we took the cables off all was dead, Then my friend put his battery in and it drained it instantly we had to jump his car.

msladya1

Re: 2003 ford escape xlt car will not start no power

Unread post by msladya1 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:37 pm

update found blown fuse replaced. car starts so far so good. Wondering if when stereo was stolen with amp and speakers wires were left cut. I did not see them until this happened but I unhooked them so hopefully that is what blew fuse. They are i the back where my amp and subs were and I remember moving stuff around so maybe I pushed them together, Is this possible?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 am

yes, it's very possible. When wires are cut to steal things that are wired in, the power wire will still be live when the power is turned on. If they touch anything that is grounded they will blow the fuse. The problem is that if the equipment that was installed by and aftermarket supplier you don't know what they used to power on their key on power. If they use a direct keyed on power source and install their own fuse then if the fuse blows only their equipment stops working. If they use a fused circuit from the vehicle then when the fuse blows it turns off something in the car. And who knows what they may have tied into.

if it's a factory or dealer installed circuit it will usually follow the wiring diagram the car comes with and the wiring can be figured out with the factory wiring charts.

Glad you found the problem. Congrats
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

msladya1

Unread post by msladya1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:39 pm

carriedi wrote:
> yes, it's very possible. When wires are cut to steal things that are wired
> in, the power wire will still be live when the power is turned on. If they
> touch anything that is grounded they will blow the fuse. The problem is
> that if the equipment that was installed by and aftermarket supplier you
> don't know what they used to power on their key on power. If they use a
> direct keyed on power source and install their own fuse then if the fuse
> blows only their equipment stops working. If they use a fused circuit from
> the vehicle then when the fuse blows it turns off something in the car.
> And who knows what they may have tied into.
>
> if it's a factory or dealer installed circuit it will usually follow the
> wiring diagram the car comes with and the wiring can be figured out with
> the factory wiring charts.
>
> Glad you found the problem. Congrats

Thanks. I do not know that much about electrical. But I do know they had a thick red wire that ran from my trunk where the amp and the subs were installed all the way to under the hood which at that point had a huge fuse connected to it in between the firewall and the battery . Then the end of the wire connected to the positive battery post. However that fuse was not blown. I think when I moved stuff around in my trunk that wire touched the blue wire that was also cut, I wondered why it did not happen when I drove the car before, Then I remembered going into my trunk , I am keeping a eye on the battery, I learned how to check it with a multi meter, Only because I have read that the viper alarm can cause problems also. So far I check it everyday and the lowest read was 12.37. I will update if there is any change thank you for your reply..