2002 ford winstar timing chain

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
jeniann1977

2002 ford winstar timing chain

Unread post by jeniann1977 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:19 pm

My 2002 Ford winstar blew the timing chain, I have been told by many people it would be cheaper to replace my vehicle than it would be to fix it, and that normally when the timing chain goes so do multiple other things. Is
This true?

carriedi

Re: 2002 ford winstar timing chain

Unread post by carriedi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:12 pm

how did you come to know your timing chain is out? TDC'd the engine? engine cranks but the valve train doesn't move? ???

it's not that bad to do a timing chain in a windstar. Book time is about 7 hrs. for timing chain. plus parts, oil change, coolant, probably should do a new water pump and drive belt while they're off. If regular maintenance has been kept up on the vehicle there would be no reason to believe that there would be damage to other components. Unless you have like a million miles or so. (Ok, maybe not a million but at least a lot more than normal miles for a vehicle that is 12 years old) If everything else on the van is good I would fix it. If it is getting beat up and has a lot of miles I might consider getting a newer vehicle but you would have to weigh the price of a new car or how much you would pay for a used car and what do you know about how that car was cared for.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

jeniann1977

Unread post by jeniann1977 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:14 pm

I know the timing chain is bad because it was plugged into a computer and the code that it's throwing is a bad timing chain. There are over 200,000 Miles on my van however I have kept up regular maintenance on my van. I do know the radiator blew a hole so that also has to be replaced. I'm just trying to figure out which is the best route to go as I am a single Mom and need the most for my money.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:55 pm

what was the code you got from your van? do you remember the actual number?

so is the motor not running now? Do you know if your motor got hot either before of after the radiator went out? there may be more engine problems if the engine got really hot.

jeniann1977

Unread post by jeniann1977 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:30 pm

I don't remember the code sorry. I was driving on 95 and we started to smell it running hot right before it died. It had Been having problems overheating so I made sure I checked the water before I left to go anywhere and I had water with me. The gauge never registered over half temp until it died then it went in the. red. The van will not turn over now my friend says it is getting fuel and spark.

jeniann1977

Unread post by jeniann1977 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't know What you mean by tdc'd
carriedi wrote:how did you come to know your timing chain is out? TDC'd the engine? engine cranks but the valve train doesn't move? ???

it's not that bad to do a timing chain in a windstar. Book time is about 7 hrs. for timing chain. plus parts, oil change, coolant, probably should do a new water pump and drive belt while they're off. If regular maintenance has been kept up on the vehicle there would be no reason to believe that there would be damage to other components. Unless you have like a million miles or so. (Ok, maybe not a million but at least a lot more than normal miles for a vehicle that is 12 years old) If everything else on the van is good I would fix it. If it is getting beat up and has a lot of miles I might consider getting a newer vehicle but you would have to weigh the price of a new car or how much you would pay for a used car and what do you know about how that car was cared for.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:08 am

TDC is for Top Dead Center. to bring #1 cylinder to top dead center on the compression stroke and check your cam timing. you can also check about how much play you have in the timing chain by rotating the crank to TDC and then measure how far backwards you have to go before you see the cam synchronizer start to move backwards. This will give you an idea of the timing chain and timing chain tensioner's ability to keep the slack out of the chain.

if you could give me the codes from when you had your engine scanned before it would really help out