F-250 wont start unless move shifter

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
Leslie

F-250 wont start unless move shifter

Unread post by Leslie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:05 pm

I have a 2003 F-250 7.3L that I am having starting issues with. The problem appears to be related to the position of the gear indicator. A couple of times, when I moved the handle as far to the left in the PARK position the truck would start, now it just will not turn over at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Les.

carriedi

Re: F-250 wont start unless move shifter

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 pm

a few things affect this on fords. shifter screws on the bottom of the shifter come loose. you can tighten them up from the bottom of the shifter.You have to put your head down by the pedals and look up at the steering column. *(#27 in the figure)

another thing that happens is that the shifter tube (#16) can crack and later will be broken or the shifter tube bushings get worn out (#25).

neutral safety switch could be out of adjustment. Turn the key to run and move the shifter into the neutral position. See if you can start your truck there. If you still can't get the truck to crank over, hold the brake pedal down and try moving the shifter around with the key in the start position. Be careful because if the engine does start you may be in drive or reverse and the truck will want to take off on you. That's why you need to keep the brake on.
Attachments
ford-f20-steering-column-digram.jpg
Ford F-250 steering column shifter and ignition switch diagram.
ford-f20-steering-column-digram.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 3565 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.