Slow cranking Ford Bronco

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
RDGlover

Slow cranking Ford Bronco

Unread post by RDGlover » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi , I have 1986 Ford Bronco 351W HO. You may have heard of this before but I have ask many people about this and I have got many things that I should do and none have solve the problem so here it is, when I first crank it on any morning or night it cranks fine it doesn’t run hot but when go to the store or gas station and go inside for a few minutes and come back to it cranks slow and slow and slow and then it turn over fast and crank up fine. Now I have a new battery, new cables, new dist, wires, plugs, starter (Mimi tort starter) Control Module, set timing at 10 degrees, new carburetor Holly 650 and none of this has change this at all. Some people say that this is just the way old fords crank but I believe there is something that causes this problem.

carriedi

Re: Slow cranking Ford Bronco

Unread post by carriedi » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:14 am

couple of things you may want to look at. You're going to have to measure the cranking amps for when it turns over slowly compared to when it turns over normal. 1. You may have a starter that is dragging when it gets hot. Most parts places have a heat shield or cover you could put between you starter and the exhaust manifold it the starter is getting too hot too. 2. or you could just have a bad starter.

do a voltage drop test between the negative battery post and engine block or starter case and see if you have too much resistance from your battery cables too.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

RDGlover

Unread post by RDGlover » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:40 pm

Thank for your reply, I did a voltage test one time and it drop when cranking to 7 volts but it still crank in a minute. I heard that it might be a heat soaked starter so I drove a bit stopped and crank it and got out to see if it was getting hot and put my hand on the starter (maybe not so smart) from under the truck and it wasn’t that hot to me.
Maybe a heat rap could help I try every thing else.

RDGlover

Unread post by RDGlover » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm

Bronco.JPG
1986 Ford Bronco.
Bronco.JPG (17.1 KiB) Viewed 7668 times

RDGlover

Unread post by RDGlover » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 pm

This is what iam waiting on, some one who said i had a truck or car and it done the same thing and it was the!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RDGlover

Unread post by RDGlover » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:49 pm

motor.JPG
motor.JPG (32.1 KiB) Viewed 7651 times

RDGlover

Unread post by RDGlover » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Granddad.JPG
Granddad.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 7649 times

RDGlover

Unread post by RDGlover » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Lindale,Ga..JPG
Lindale,Ga..JPG (32.16 KiB) Viewed 7648 times

Deadrock1

Unread post by Deadrock1 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:01 pm

I have a 1970 Ford F-100 and I have been having the same sort of issue, which of course , is driving me nuts. So far I have replaced the Battery, starter relay and just yesterday , the starter...guess what? Yep I do give credence to what the gentleman said about the heat shield. Matter of fact I am kinda kicking myself in the butt for not noticing that when I changed out the starter. I have a friend who has a Gmc he used to spray a little water on the starter, that actiually had a pretty sturdy heat shield,
from like a windex bottle, to cool it down , which always seemed to work, although often it would still crank slow. I tend to over think things, which is why, right now I am wondering if I don't have a warped crank. (be about par for the course, haha) you find a solution I'd like to hear it as well.