'94 Explorer - Intermittent Crank/No Start

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
dluke

'94 Explorer - Intermittent Crank/No Start

Unread post by dluke » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 pm

I've got a 94 Explorer with an intermittent issue where it cranks but wont start. The shop first put in a new Starter, which now makes no sense after researching on my own. They also replaced the Crank Sensor. The problem continued but I cant leave it there for the week they want to diagnose. They mentioned maybe something is overheating the starter (??)

After doing some research, I swapped the AC Relay with the Fuel Pump Relay and didn't have the problem for several weeks (possibly a coincidence?). The problem has returned this week and happens daily. Sometimes it will start after 10 minutes, sometimes it has to sit a few hours. It usually cold starts fine in the morning, but will have the problem after its been driven.

What could this be? Getting frustrated, and have no auto repair knowledge. Thanks in advance for any help! :?

carriedi

Re: '94 Explorer - Intermittent Crank/No Start

Unread post by carriedi » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:15 pm

to find a problem with a no start you usually have to check it when it doesn't start and see what is missing. Spark, fuel pressure, injector pulse. You may need to hook up and monitor the cam and crank sensors together. Make sure they are both seeing the correct image. also, sometimes the DPFE will short the system. all you do is unplug it and see if it starts right up. ECM's have sometimes done this. Problem is that when it's not happening it's because everything is working normally. And that's all the shop will see. Everything normal. They are going to need to have it for a while to check the car when it is not working normal to see what is different.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.