F-250 wont start unless move shifter

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
hellrider

kickdown rod out of whack.

Unread post by hellrider » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 am

i have an 83 ford f-100 with 302,AOD auto.i drove with the kickdown rod out of adjustment and i need to find out if it hurt my tranny.like if it burned the overdrive out.any help would be appreciated.

ProTech

Re: kickdown rod out of whack.

Unread post by ProTech » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 am

Well, you don't mention if you're actually having any trouble with the trans. Driving with the rod out of adjustment is no big deal. If you feel you are having transmission issues, I'd recommend taking it to a trans shop and having it looked at. Plus you're truck is a bit too old to find any relevant information on, so your best bet is to have either Ford take a look at it or someone who's worked on trucks like yours.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

mulrich

flasher relay Ford F250 Super Duty (2002)

Unread post by mulrich » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:06 pm

While driving down the highway my truck started to buzz under the dash (like static on the radio)
When I was able I checked and found that the noise was coming from the flasher relay.
I replaced it and the static noise went away but now I have a new sound like the "tink tink" when the blinker or hazard flashers are on even when they are not. The "tink tink" noise will start as soon as the ignition switch is turned on . Any ideas what I should try next?

ProTech

Re: flasher relay Ford F250 Super Duty (2002)

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 pm

You may have plugged in the flasher wrong, or installed the wrong type of flasher. You might want to recheck your work or trace the wiring to and from the flasher to see if there are any shorts in the wiring or other problems.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

ChuckedUpLarabel

What is leaking on the transmission on my truck?

Unread post by ChuckedUpLarabel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm

I have a 1993 Ford Ranger. There is a leak on the passenger side of the transmission. I am curious to what the leak is coming from I was told the governor cover seal but dim not sure. This URL shows a picture of a similar transmission. http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.html The front most circular thing is what is leaking, right next to where the dip stick tube enters the tranny. I know the second/ middle circular thing (Next to the vacuum modulator) is the front servo piston cover. I am curious to what the front most circular thing is because that is the leak and I want to fix it. Thanks for your time.

TerryAuto

Re: What is leaking on the transmission on my truck?

Unread post by TerryAuto » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 pm

The seal around that cover is leaking. It is called a "Servo seal". That is the servo cover. A large snap ring holds the cover on. You will need to find some leverage and push inward on the center of the cover, hold it in place, then remove the snap ring. Release the pressure slowly on the cover as there is spring pressure and a few parts behind it.
Be sure to check the Similar Topics down this page for more help.

Franc

changing transmission

Unread post by Franc » Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 pm

Can you change transmission on a 2000 ford explorer with an E engine to a 2000 ford explorer X engine?

Karl

Re: changing transmission

Unread post by Karl » Sun May 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Yes, that should bolt together just fine.

Leslie

F-250 wont start unless move shifter

Unread post by Leslie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:05 pm

I have a 2003 F-250 7.3L that I am having starting issues with. The problem appears to be related to the position of the gear indicator. A couple of times, when I moved the handle as far to the left in the PARK position the truck would start, now it just will not turn over at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Les.

carriedi

Re: F-250 wont start unless move shifter

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 pm

a few things affect this on fords. shifter screws on the bottom of the shifter come loose. you can tighten them up from the bottom of the shifter.You have to put your head down by the pedals and look up at the steering column. *(#27 in the figure)

another thing that happens is that the shifter tube (#16) can crack and later will be broken or the shifter tube bushings get worn out (#25).

neutral safety switch could be out of adjustment. Turn the key to run and move the shifter into the neutral position. See if you can start your truck there. If you still can't get the truck to crank over, hold the brake pedal down and try moving the shifter around with the key in the start position. Be careful because if the engine does start you may be in drive or reverse and the truck will want to take off on you. That's why you need to keep the brake on.
Attachments
ford-f20-steering-column-digram.jpg
Ford F-250 steering column shifter and ignition switch diagram.
ford-f20-steering-column-digram.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 5707 times

Jon

Ford F150 Lost Power Now Not starting

Unread post by Jon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm

I have a 2002 f150 v6 I was driving on interstate it lost power I coasted to side of road it died I got a p1504 error code tested the circuit it was good replace idle air control valve it started once idled real real ruff not been able to get it to start again please help

carriedi

Re: Ford F150 Lost Power Now Not starting

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:09 am

start with the basics, spark, injector pulse and fuel pressure. are you missing any of those three when you are cranking the engine over and it doesn't start?

30 to 45 psi range for fuel pressure