Ford Ranger takes a bit to Start

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Ford truck questions now.
oldtimer

302cid-cranks good,wont fire

Unread post by oldtimer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:36 pm

1993 f-150 302 eng.cranks good,no fire. has new fuel filter. give it a squirt of starting fluid n it fires right up and runs o.k. when i had it running checked for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner-no vac leaks.eng.light is off when running. shut- off and try to start ,same th thing till i give er a squirt of ether. dont want to use ether anymore times. note;before this all started idle would run good then rev up then back to normal by itself.shut down and thats when this all started. removed idle solenoid,cleaned,check operation seemed o.k reinstalled. when i get truck running & unplug solenoid eng. dies. what should i check/replace/clean/whatever HELP

ProTech

Re: 302cid-cranks good,wont fire

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:17 pm

You seem to have narrowed this problem down by what you have to do to start the truck. Since you seem to be lacking fuel to start the truck, as you have to had ether or gas to get it fired, that would be where the problem lies.

I'd recommend doing a fuel pressure check, as you probably have a bad fuel pump. It may put out enough to run the truck after it starts up on ether, but doesn't seem to have enough pressure or volume to actually start the truck up. This is pretty common, and if the fuel filter you replaced was extremely clogged, you can bet the pump will go out shortly there after.

More than likely you will be looking at replacing the fuel pump.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

oldtimer

Unread post by oldtimer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:20 pm

thank you for answering but i have dual tanks and have tried both with the same effect.is there only one pump. i hear it /them run when i turn key to run,they run a few seconds like they should. i find it hard to believe they both would go bad simultaniously. the filter wasnt that bad. i good blow through it ,blowing out the gas left in it. it was nice and clear. any thoughts? thanks again for responding!

ProTech

Unread post by ProTech » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:09 pm

There is only ONE main fuel pump that provides the fuel to the engine. With dual tanks, you have another pump, but it's just a crossover pump to pump the fuel into the main tank. You definitely have some sort of fuel delivery problem with your vehicle. I'd still stick with it's probably a fuel pump that is worn out. A fuel pressure test is your quickest way of diagnosing this problem.

Randallshane

Ford Ranger takes a bit to Start

Unread post by Randallshane » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:53 pm

"I have a 2001 Ford Ranger Edge with a 3.0 v6 and when i go to start it it takes a little bit to start. it turns over then it put put put VROOOM. Kind of sounds like a boat motor at first. I can hear the the fuel pump turn on. Any idea how to fix this?"

Karl

Re: Ford Ranger takes a bit to Start

Unread post by Karl » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:18 pm

If the fuel pump is coming on, you can still have low pressure from a weak pump or plugged filter. Low pressure will take a few extra seconds to build up enough pressure to start.

You could also have a leaking fuel pressure regulator or leaking fuel injector causing the engine to be flooded. That also makes a hard start condition. If you see a puff of black smoke when it fires up, that means the engine was flooded.

All this is assuming the engine is good working order. Worn plugs, wires, ignition coil can also cause hard starting in cold weather.
Read some SIMILAR questions down below for more help.
Check out our Photo Gallery

zookj

power steering problem

Unread post by zookj » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:32 am

2005 ford f250 6.0 liter diseal while driving steering becomes stiff then goes back to normal it happen at least once every time truck driven changed fluid but no change in steering stiffness it happens most while turning left or right

ProTech

Re: power steering problem

Unread post by ProTech » Thu May 02, 2013 7:14 pm

This could be either a pump problem or a problem with the steering gear. Usually the stiffness only happens in one direction, which is then a bit easier to determine which part is bad. Since you have it in both directions, I'd lean more towards a power steering pump issue. You might want to make sure the belt is not slipping any, as well as check to make sure there are no leaks present anywhere in the steering system. The dealer would have diagnostic equipment to hook up to the system to see what exactly is failing.