2005 envoy 4.2l cruise control

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
dirtman

2005 envoy 4.2l cruise control

Unread post by dirtman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 am

the cruise can be set but goes off after a mile or so. checked the code and there are none. checked all brake lights and they are ok.

ProTech

Re: 2005 envoy 4.2l cruise control

Unread post by ProTech » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Not a whole lot of components on the cruise control system these days. Since the throttle body is electronic, there is no separate cruise control module like older vehicles. Basically, you'd be looking at one of three things....a bad switch (multifunction turn signal lever), a bad PCM, or a wiring problem.

As long as you're sure there are no blown fuses, or brake lights out, it would have to be something in the above mentioned area. The problem is, you'd really need a scanner capable of 'watching' the cruise control system and see what is dropping out causing it to go off after a mile or so. Without that, you're left with just being able to guess by changing parts, which isn't smart or cost effective.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+

Allan

Unread post by Allan » Thu May 16, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi I have the same car but didnt come with cruise control. Can I just replace the turn signal lever with 1 that has the cruise switch to activate the feature?

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Fri May 17, 2019 6:35 am

that is a good question. with the throttle body controlling the speed you would think that might work. Cruise control now uses the fuse blocks, the stoplight switch, the electronic brake control module, the powertrain control module, the throttle body and accelerator pedal, the vehicle speed sensor and the instrument cluster. I guess it could be possible that the manufacturer makes them all the same just leaves out the switch part.

Check the connector in the steering column to see if it has the cruise control connector in the harness but not connected to anything. Check for a Brown wire that is hot in run (power to the cruise on/off switch. comes from HVAC 1 fuse under the left side of the rear seat). A gray/white wire, a gray/black wire, a dark blue wire. Those four wires have to be available in the harness just to hook up the multifunction switch if it had cruise control. It should have a separate connector in the wire harness.

If the cruise control connector is in the wire harness in the steering column you could get a turn switch for cruise control and just plug in the cruise connector and see if it will work. If it does then change the switch, If it doesn't unplug it and take it back. You don't have to change the whole switch to see if it's going to work or not.

If you know where to look for your rpo codes, the codes that concern cruise are KSG, K30, K34, K59, LAC, and there are some other codes that have to do with the controls being part of the steering wheel. (K34 should be for your specific vehicle I think) Also see if you have an rpo code of K39. K39 is the code for Cruise control delete. If the vehicle is cruise delete I don't think all the parts will be programmed to work together for cruise control with just the switch.

RPO codes should be on the sticker on the glove box

Allan

Unread post by Allan » Mon May 20, 2019 7:16 pm

I will try to replace the lever and see if it works..Will post result here..Thanks for the advise..