Alternator went bad after thermostat on GMC Envoy

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
Harold

Alternator went bad after thermostat on GMC Envoy

Unread post by Harold » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Helo.
I have a 2006 GMC Envoy that went into my local dealer for some routine check-up yesterday and also because it had a check engine light. They told me I had a thermostat that had gone bad and need to replace it. I authorized them to do that. I was told the truck was ready, and while waiting to pick it up, they came out and told me that now my truck wouldn't start because the alternator was bad an the battery was dead.
About 4 weeks ago I did have a situation where my vehicle wouldn't crank or start. It was jumped and we thought that was the end of that. It turns out the battery was fine.
The dealership is now offering to change the alternator for $300 & not charge me any labor. Should an alternator have gone bad on a vehicle that is only 6 years old? Should they have not found this problem during the check-up when they worked on it?

ProTech

Re: Alternator went bad after thermostat on GMC Envoy

Unread post by ProTech » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:41 pm

If indeed you do need an alternator, it's really something that does not get checked out unless you request a charging system test/diagnosis. No, it should not have gone bad during a thermostat replacement, but it could be completely coincidental. The age of your vehicle makes no difference at all, as the alternator is an electronic part that can fail at anytime. You might want to have them do a thorough charging system test just to make sure it is bad.
GM Dealer Technician For 18+ Years
In the automotive industry for 20+