GMC Sonoma 1996 AC blows on floor only

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
stanashoe

GMC Sonoma 1996 AC blows on floor only

Unread post by stanashoe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:23 am

a/c won't blow on top (vent) floor only. How is this remidied?

Meccboy

Re: ac blows on floor only

Unread post by Meccboy » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 pm

What model and year vehicle is this GMC ?

stanashoe

Unread post by stanashoe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:50 am

Meccboy wrote:What model and year vehicle is this GMC ?
It is a 1996 Sonoma (SLE) 6 cyl

Meccboy

Unread post by Meccboy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Sounds like you have a vacuum problem to the A/C control in the dash. When there is no vacuum to control the mode positions, the default is defrost and floor.
A common cause is a burned / broken vacuum line under the hood. Behind the A/C compresor. This plastic line goes to the vacuum canister. If the line is OK, then the canister may be leaking or have a broken vacuum port. If that is OK, then the vacuum line from these that goes into the truck and into the dash may be disconnected in the dash. It would be a purple hose.

stanashoe

Unread post by stanashoe » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:37 am

Meccboy wrote:Sounds like you have a vacuum problem to the A/C control in the dash. When there is no vacuum to control the mode positions, the default is defrost and floor.
A common cause is a burned / broken vacuum line under the hood. Behind the A/C compresor. This plastic line goes to the vacuum canister. If the line is OK, then the canister may be leaking or have a broken vacuum port. If that is OK, then the vacuum line from these that goes into the truck and into the dash may be disconnected in the dash. It would be a purple hose.
Meccboy , I cannot believe such a simple solution. I have stopped in at a couple of different garages in the past week for some estimates for this repair , they were from $60 to $150. unless the problem is in the dashboard. I took your advice , the hose cost was $2.47. I am now one of the coolest cats on the block. I am eternally greatful ....................................thankyou
Stanashoe

butchkaz
Site Admin

Unread post by butchkaz » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Good Job Meccboy !!
Hit that one right on the head !
Glad we could be of help STANASHOE.
Be Sure To Check The Related Topics below For More Help.

scotty

Re: GMC Sonoma 1996 AC blows on floor only

Unread post by scotty » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 am

This is also a common problem on any GM truck with the 4.3L Vortec motor. That hose breaks on the Chevy vans, GMC vans, Chevy pickup trucks etc.

Very common problem with these. I cannot count how many trucks i have fixed this A/C problem on. Most of time people replace the HVAC control in the dash, when it is a very simple repair.