GMC Envoy XL 2003 Idle Up and Down

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your GMC truck questions.
timezone

GMC Envoy XL 2003 Idle Up and Down

Unread post by timezone » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:19 pm

:( My Envoy has been giving me problems since I replaced the temperature sensor(sender), thermastat, and the fan clutch. Now I'm getting a problem when I turn my heat on. The car idles up to about 1and a half rpms then it drops all the way down to zero rpms and then it shuts off. (only when in park). If the heat is turned off it runs perfectly fine. Does anyone know what tcould be the problem ?

protech

Re: GMC Envoy XL 2003

Unread post by protech » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:11 pm

The problem you are having is due to excessive carbon build up inside the throttle body. There is more load put on the engine, especially at idle when you have heater or air conditioning running. When the engine can't enough air, due to the carbon build up, the idle dips very low and often times ends up stalling out. What you need to do is remove the air filter ducting and plastic housing that attaches to the throttle body. With an approved cleaner, like brake clean or comparable cleaner, you should spray all inside the throttle body and throttle blade, then spray a rag and wipe out the inside of the throttle body housing really good. There will be a black residue from the carbon that you need to get all cleaned out of there and on the throttle blade as well. That will take care of your problem.