Fuel pump

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Cadillac questions now.
Camillsap85

Fuel pump

Unread post by Camillsap85 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:46 am

When i first start my truck an take off it runs great then after a few miles it starts acting as if its running out of gas. When i press the gas pedal it starts getting worse then it will completely shut off. Ill have to wait a few hours to get it to start back up?

carriedi

Re: Fuel pump

Unread post by carriedi » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:53 pm

there are a couple of things to look at. Maybe more but start off with these two.

1. fuel pressure. what is happening with the fuel pump pressure? Is the fuel pressure dropping off as the car is driven? If the fuel pressure stay strong and steady then look at something else. If the fuel pressure is dropping off and turning off, it could be a fuel pump or a fuel filter plugged up problem (or fuel pump sock)

2. what is the computer seeing as the engine comes up to normal operating temperature? when the engine is cold the computer richens up the fuel mixture. as the engine temp warms the computer lowers the a/f mixture and uses sensors to tell the computer to figure the fuel mix. Coolant temp and O2 sensors really make a difference here. could be too lean or could be flooding. running it with a scanner looking at the engine PIDS will tell you what the computer is working with