01 Cad Fuel Gauge

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Cadillac questions now.
paull455

01 Cad Fuel Gauge

Unread post by paull455 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:43 am

My 01 Cad Deville's fuel gauge goes whacky when it shows below half tank. I replaced old shocks with new thinking the car was not level. It didn't solve problem. Is there a sensor that needs replaced?

carriedi

Re: 01 Cad Fuel Gauge

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 pm

there are a few things to consider on a fuel gauge not working right. The sender in the tank, the gauge in the dash and the circuit that completes the system.

you should use a scanner and see if it has a fuel level PID. You would have to see what that reading shows when the gauge is acting up. You might be able to graph the fuel sender and see if the sender is erratic of if is steady but the gauge is not correct. the sender uses the purple wire (pin 72 connector2) and the black wire (pin 13 connector2) at the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM then sends the information to the Instrument Control Panel to move the stepper motor for the fuel gauge.

I have seen where the sender goes bad or has a poor connection cause problems. I have seen where the stepper motor for the fuel gauge goes bad. Since yours seems to only act up below a half tank it sounds like the sender. But, weirder things have happened.

The "level" of the tank shouldn't make that much difference or making corners and going up and down hills would cause the gauge to not be very accurate.
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.