1986 Cimarron 2.8 V6 engine OVERHEATING PROBLEM

Ask our auto mechanics for help to all your Cadillac questions now.
1986cimarronowner

1986 Cimarron 2.8 V6 engine OVERHEATING PROBLEM

Unread post by 1986cimarronowner » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:59 am

I am having overheating problems when stopped for long periods. I found the radiator cooling fan is not receiving electrical power. Where do I look after I have checked all the fuses?? I have not got a wiring diagram or a manual showing the relay modules or their locations.
HELP PLEASE!!1986 Cimarron 2.8 V6 engine

carriedi

Re: 1986 Cimarron 2.8 V6 engine OVERHEATING PROBLEM

Unread post by carriedi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:12 am

there is a fan rely that gets power from a fusible link. the relay is controlled by the pcm and a back-up fan switch. fan should come on right away when you turn the heater control to AC.
Attachments
cimerron.jpg
cimerron.jpg (175.88 KiB) Viewed 13721 times
Browse "SIMILAR TOPICS" At The Bottom Of This Page.

1986cimarronowner

Unread post by 1986cimarronowner » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Will be checking this out today..
Turned the A/C on and radiator fan did not turn but interior of car air did cool .
Power to Relay at RED wire and power at BLACK/RED Wire from Relay to Radiator Fan Motor
Power at GREEN/WHITE Wire at TEMP BACKUP SWITCH on thermostat housing.
WHAT HAVE I MISSED??
I even tried a new RELAY, did not repair problem.

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:08 am

verify that you have a good ground on the ground wire out of the fan (black wire). If you have a good ground and power going to the fan and the fan doesn't come on you probably have a bad fan motor. Tie in a test light parallel to the fan motor (black/red wire and the black wire) and see if the bulb lights up when you turn the AC on. If the bulb turns on but the fan doesn't come on the fan is bad. Another way to check it is to unplug the fan wire harness and put power to the fan manually and see if you have power coming out of the other terminal from the fan. if you do have power coming out of the other pin from the fan use a fused jumper and ground it. the fan should run. Fans can use a lot of amps to start up so be careful.

1986cimarronowner

Unread post by 1986cimarronowner » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:19 am

carriedi wrote:verify that you have a good ground on the ground wire out of the fan (black wire). If you have a good ground and power going to the fan and the fan doesn't come on you probably have a bad fan motor. Tie in a test light parallel to the fan motor (black/red wire and the black wire) and see if the bulb lights up when you turn the AC on. If the bulb turns on but the fan doesn't come on the fan is bad. Another way to check it is to unplug the fan wire harness and put power to the fan manually and see if you have power coming out of the other terminal from the fan. if you do have power coming out of the other pin from the fan use a fused jumper and ground it. the fan should run. Fans can use a lot of amps to start up so be careful.
Thanks for the info. Found Fan Motor was Defective, have new one ordered.
Another problem I have is with the radio : Powers up but nothing displayed and you just hear static on speakers. Power Antennae does not extend & retract

carriedi

Unread post by carriedi » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:10 am

yea, that's probably going to be a bad radio. now display and no stations usually means the tuner is bad. Static from the speakers means the amp working

1986cimarronowner

Unread post by 1986cimarronowner » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:20 am

carriedi wrote:yea, that's probably going to be a bad radio. now display and no stations usually means the tuner is bad. Static from the speakers means the amp working
Thanks again for quick response!!
Now to find a radio to keep car original.